• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SSB Watt meter questions

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida
Will a regular Rat shack meter (the $32 models currently being sold there) read ssb output watts after an amp, or does the meter need to have a ssb mode? My Radio shack meter is showing less output for ssb (325 watts pep) than for am (400watts pep), I thought it would be the other way around. I think it is the meter though but am not sure since I have never ran SSB before.

Also, please Look at this meter:

tc4001.jpg

To read SSB watt output after the amp, does the SSB/AM switch need to be in the SSB position, or is that for the SSB modulation calibration only?

I just got one of these meters free from a friend and it has no instructions. I was waiting for your help before trying it.

Thanks,

Lazy

tube.gif
lazyneon2.jpg
tube.gif
</p>

L. Bones,

Switch needs to be on SSB for checking SSB. I have never used one of those meters, but I would imagine that is the way it should work.

--------------

DXman

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p067.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=dxman@worldwidecbradioclub>DXman</A> at: 12/10/04 8:06 pm

The rat shack meter I spoke of is this one:

l21-534.jpg

Great post Nomad.

So, using the same radio and amp, on AM and then SSB, you will not neccisarliy see a higher output in watts from AM to SSB?

But there is more RF power on the modulation of SSB because there is no carrier. Is this a correct statement?

tube.gif
lazyneon2.jpg
tube.gif
</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.