• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stacking test equipment on workbench shelves.... (?)

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
It's been a while since I asked one of my kind of questions.........

For the most part... is it okay to stack things on a workbench shelf directly on each other? Here is an example....

Ihave both a Boonton 102F AM/FM RF Signal Generator... AND.... a B&K 2040 CB Signal Generator.Can I stack one on the other or am I just "asking for trouble"? Will the two interfere with each other?

Will a scope on top of an RF signal generator cause trouble?

Will an audio generator set on top of an RF generator pick up RF and send it out riding on the audio?

I ask because so MANY benches I see have things stacked on one another... but then some benches I see have a separately measured and made "pigeonhole" for each piece of equipment!

What say you all?
Thanks, Bob!!!

It's been a while since I asked one of my kind of questions.........

For the most part... is it okay to stack things on a workbench shelf directly on each other? Here is an example....

Ihave both a Boonton 102F AM/FM RF Signal Generator... AND.... a B&K 2040 CB Signal Generator.Can I stack one on the other or am I just "asking for trouble"? Will the two interfere with each other?

Will a scope on top of an RF signal generator cause trouble?

Will an audio generator set on top of an RF generator pick up RF and send it out riding on the audio?

I ask because so MANY benches I see have things stacked on one another... but then some benches I see have a separately measured and made "pigeonhole" for each piece of equipment!

What say you all?
Thanks, Bob!!!
Its fine. I would keep sensitive equipment like Spectrum Analyzer's, oscilloscope's etc on their own. Other than that stacking is fine. Just make sure the cases and shelves can handle the weight.

i have found that my bench radio will pick up the signal from my HP8657 with nothing connected to the antenna jack of the radio.

of course this only happens if i turn the output of the sig gen up to +7db or higher so...

the two items are about three feet from each other.
(for those that don't know, the only real reason to ever turn a sig gen up this high in our world is to find out if you are dealing with a dead receiver or a very weak receiver)

I have my scope sitting right on top of the sig gen and it has never given me an issue.

now for the real problem when stacking test equipment!

the damn feet never line up where you want them!!!

it is very annoying to attempt to press a button on your freq counter only to have it start sliding off the back of the bench multimeter lol.

i bought a bunch of rubber feet from the home despot and it served two purposes.

first it allowed me to put feet where i need them, and it also created space between the equipment for heat dissipation.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.