• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stacking three A99`s

murdog

May 25, 2008
Have to put up a new pole and have the antenna`s laying around , pole will be about seventy feet high and made of wood so stand off`s would be a foot or two .
Cottage is at 4200 feet out west .

Stacking 3 A99's??? Horizontally?

I would put them in phase with each other (1/2 wavelength apart on it's own masts) vertically with lots of ground radials.

Last edited:
Sounds ridiculous to me. Maybe it's a new concept I haven't heard of.

A phased antenna array would give you beam like gain and you have the antennas to do it.

Maybe you can explain what 3 stacked vertical antennas would do.

Reactions: Sonar
You can play with the phase angles to some degree (no pun intended :) ) to allow for what you want to achieve. Spacing can be adjusted outside the generally accepted 1/4 wave multiples. A good setup is 1/4 wave spacing with 135 degree phasing. In any event I am talking about slacing horizontally and not vertically. A99s vertically spaced is borderline crazy.

Reactions: wavrider
Sell 2 keep one. Take proceeds from 2 sold a99s put toward building/buying a BEAM. Mount beam horizontal w a99 above. Done.....just my. 02
All ready have two horizontal beams and one five element quad....yes three towers just try`n to use up the extra a99`s.

Sell all of them and use the money to take the wife out for a nice evening. It will pay dividends the next time you want another antenna. LOL
That is just at the cabin Captain more around here at home ....the wife went south with the dog years ago so just house keepers for now on ...but get the drift !!! .

Didn't realize you were working with an 11 meter antenna farm (y) Have some fun and experiment...after all that's what's it all about.
Oh it`s not just an 11 meter farm have wire up and lots of it for all the hf bands ...it`s all a hobby and fun .

Reactions: Sonar
[QUOTE="murdog, post: 549648, member: 7163" just try`n to use up the extra a99`s.[/QUOTE]
put one of them on top of your tallest tower,,,, they make great lightin rods and will save your real antennas.......

splatters that fiberglass into millions of pieces

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
[QUOTE="murdog, post: 549648, member: 7163" just try`n to use up the extra a99`s.
put one of them on top of your tallest tower,,,, they make great lightin rods and will save your real antennas.......

splatters that fiberglass into millions of pieces[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I saw the after effects of a strike. It was mounted on the eve of a friends house. Besides blowing a hole in the roof and following the coax down to the kitchen where the radio was it blew half the cabinets off the kitchen walls and set the house on fire causing well over $30,000 damage. We never did find much more than some splinters and the metal mount that was bolted to the pipe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.