• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Star Duster M400

Which is better, a Patriot 12 base or Star Duster M400?

• Total voters

Chong

Feb 5, 2006
DX land Ohio
What's better, a Patriot 12 base antenna or a Star Duster M400? I have a Patriot and am getting a Star Duster M400 and I'm wondering which one I should use? Please give me your opinion. Thanks - chong CDX199
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Except for the newer knockoffs being reported to have very light weight ribbed type aluminum the antenna is an excellent performer if you get it up high.

I find they tend to allow water to get into the coax the way the coax attaches right under the stinger connection, but that can be stopped if you put a little Stuff from AES in the connectios. It is a non-hardening water repellent that I find works very well for all exposed coax fittings and it does not wash away or get hard.

It is light, but can be a booger to install with the 10' mast installed in the hub. Just be careful, they bend easy.

I have one, and it does a good job for me. When you put it together, be careful with the plastic parts especally the center where the lower elements are braced. Also use a small amount of blue (removable) locktite on the screws that attach the bottom elements to the hub. As Marconi stated, use some sealant. I also use silicone to seal around where the top element goes into the hub after it's tightened. I've also owned the original starduster many years ago, and it was made better than the m-400, kinda like cars from the 60's vs the ones made today ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.