• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Station Monitor Scope

I'm assuming you just want to monitor your station's output. Simply make a 1/2 wave dipole out of whatever wire you have handy, connect it to some spare coax, and put a BNC connector on the other end of the coax so you can plug it into the 'scope's input. You'll see exactly what's leaving the antenna. I use the same setup in my shop, made out of old 300-ohm TV antenna lead-in cable and a chunk of old RG58 I had lying under a rock someplace, to monitor my own radio, as well as look at the output from customer's radios transmitting in the parking lot.

If you'd rather have a direct sample, just take a couple of 2.2pf caps, connect them in series from the center of the output connector in your meter to ground, and tap the point where the 2 caps join to get a good sample signal for your 'scope. I modified a Wavenode sensor with that very setup for bench use when I service radios.

Re your oscilloscope question--
From the WaveNode website: HF-2kw, HF-8kw and QRP sensors can have
"Optional RFView output port on WaveNode HF sensor allows the operator to view station signals on an oscilloscope.
Plug a BNC cable from the remote sensor to your oscilloscope for realtime RF monitoring."

From www.eham.net product reviews: "Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2005 08:07 Fantastic unit. Solid construction. Great software. Great support to any questions I had. Adding the RFView to the sensor made this great product and SUPER OUTSTANDING product. This is a 5+++++ product. "
Hope this helps.
cdundeed

The stock wavenode tap doesn't deliver very much voltage. at 100 watts, I think its only spec'ed at about 100mv. If you run a barefoot radio, then the output will not be much at all. Thats why I modified the stock tap to a 2:1 divider. The rep from Wavenode liked the idea, and made inferences that something similar might be included in future changes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.