• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Step away from the fuse holder

Boll Weevil

Mar 2, 2014
SW PA
A co-worker of mine was having trouble with fuses in his power cord repeatedly blowing so to remedy the problem, he increased the value of the fuse, 15 fold.

On a positive note, the 30 amp fuse is alive and well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

A co-worker of mine was having trouble with fuses in his power cord repeatedly blowing so to remedy the problem, he increased the value of the fuse, 15 fold.

On another positive note, tracing the faults shouldn't be too difficult either, never a good idea fitting anything but the original rating of fuse, can only end in tears at best.

Reactions: 1 person
There were definitely tears, but I think they were from all the smoke in the cab.
Unfortunately, this was a Phillipines version from 1994 which I've heard is of better quality than the newer ones.

Many years ago I had a tube type AM broadcast transmitter that would not start up. Every time it was turned on the 600 volt supply for the 807 RF drivers and modulator drivers would blow a fuse as soon as the timer activated. There was a time delay after the filaments were powered up before you could turn any HV on. This made it quite hard to diagnose the problem. IIRC the fuse was a 3 amp fast blow in the 600v supply. As I began running short on fuses I subbed a five amp slo-blow instead figuring maybe I could follow the smoke signals. It worked. When the time delay kicked it I saw a small bluish-green flash from the modulator board that held four 807's. The flash was enough to localize the problem. It ended up being a ceramic disc bypass capacitor that was checking as open when power was off but when the 600 volts was applied it would short to ground and blow the fuse making it virtually impossible to find with a VOM and the power off. Sometimes in those very rare instances over fusing can help find the problem however unless you are really careful it can do more damage than it can help resolve.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: and I thought I was the only one who would do something like that!

if hes blowing fuses constantly id say he might wanna check the protection diode in radio
Yup.
Then the zener across the voltage regulator - next - if not the protection diode.
Or the voltage regulator, finals, audio IC, and any other device that is getting 13.8v when turned on. . .

Last edited:
He said the truck had a new alternator installed and the meter(on the dash) was reading 16 volts. I told him to have the shop check it out but don't know if he ever did.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.