• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stock 29/78XL question

Marty

Feb 13, 2007
Twilight Zone
I bought both of these radios several months ago at a big box store. one for the base and the other for the truck. I know they are 4 watt radio's. What does one of these do on a high quality meter like a Bird meter with the stock microphones?

Dead Key = ?

Modulation = ?

Thanks Marty

could be 3 to 3.5 could be 4 or 4.5 to 6 to 10 pep on a whistle ,talking would be less, at 40 to 80% modulation,.Some do more and some do less out of the box , with a tune up at 100% modulation , 5 to 6 to 18 to 24 watts pep ,on a whistle , IM sure talking would be much lower less then that. IM not sure what 626s numbers are. Mine are ballpark.

I remember my old peak and tuned 1994 Uniden i can't remember the model but it look like the 78 XL with the swr meter, etc. it did 2-16 watts at the CB shop but it put out 20-22 watt's peak on my 20 dollar Radio Shack meter. Both where whistle test.

Very interesting freecell, I was just looking through the new easy to understand FCC rules booklet that you get with the newer radio's and it said ( 4 watt carrier) but doesn't say anything else i wish the government would make thing's easier to understand.

73's to you and your's 8)

" You should see about 6 to 8 watt dk. about 40 watt pep on a bird 43p. good luck. "

Now thats funny right there.

My friend called me today while I was grocery shopping and said he hook up his base station and his wanting to know how do you read that Radio Shack meter you let me borrow "6 year's ago" I wounder what ever happen to my meter anyhow he brought it back.

average
dead key = 5 watts
whistle = 6 watts

PEP
dead key = 5 watts
whistle = 14 watts

Stock Uniden 78 radio stock mike.

Thanks for the info :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.