• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange antenna phenomenon suggested, anyone ever heard of this...

Mar 8, 2009
Northern Shenandoah Valley, VA
On another board I read occassionally, a gentleman was seeking advice about an antenna issue whereas his swr is inconsistent, sometimes it is 1:1, sometimes it is 1:5 and somtimes it is 2:1

In response, one person stated: "skip can, will, and is possibly affect your swr. being over the past few days skip is rolling decent it could be. try on a non skip day to see if this is the case."

In my 30 years of being involved in the radio hobby, I have never heard of the phenomenon or experienced this.

Has anyone else ever seen/read any validity to this claim. Seems to be a new one on me.:confused:

Nah I don't believe so either.

The only external conditions that I know of that can affect SWR is the antenna being wet/ice, ect.....

W5PYT used to mention his Globe King 500 would show ever so slightly different plate current when 10 meters was open. He was using a giant curtain antenna at the time. This in now way however would translate to any measurable change in SWR.

I call B.S. I'm not too sure about PYT's report either.

I think it is B.S. too, but I am not allowed to say on the other board because anytime you challange one of the self proclaimed radio gods about their OBVIOUS B.S. claims they get real offensive, then the moderators on that board have to come to the rescue.

I always laugh when I read their outlandish claims that are so inconsistent with proven facts and the basic laws of electrical engineering. I just wanted to cover all bases and thought perhaps I would actually learn something new. Well, I guess there always is tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Very creative really, not too bad. Hey, at least it's a new one, which ought'a be worth something hadn't it? You gotta admire a mind like that... what else could you do with it?
- 'Doc

To put this BS question back into perspective, one needs to remember what "SWR" is. A ratio of reflected RF back into the finals when transmitting.

Unless a close and very powerful signal is saturating any antenna, it would be a myth to say that skip affects its SWR. WW's answer is most correct - IMO...

How 'bout:

Really REALLY strong propagation induces a roger beep sounding noise into my audio when I unkey the mic?

.. not bad, but just doesn't have the 'zing!' that 'skip-land' phenomenon has, you know? that 'Zing!' requires a one of a kind mind! 'Fraid you just ain't got it 'Weazy'.
- 'Doc

... not real sure if that's not a compliment, maybe I'll take it back?

On another board I read occassionally, a gentleman was seeking advice about an antenna issue whereas his swr is inconsistent, sometimes it is 1:1, sometimes it is 1:5 and somtimes it is 2:1

In response, one person stated: "skip can, will, and is possibly affect your swr. being over the past few days skip is rolling decent it could be. try on a non skip day to see if this is the case."

In my 30 years of being involved in the radio hobby, I have never heard of the phenomenon or experienced this.

Has anyone else ever seen/read any validity to this claim. Seems to be a new one on me.:confused:

That is about the biggest piece of male bovine excrement that I have ever heard. Who comes up with these stoopid ideas anyway. :LOL:

Very creative really, not too bad. Hey, at least it's a new one, which ought'a be worth something hadn't it? You gotta admire a mind like that... what else could you do with it?
- 'Doc

Interesting perspective. You are correct. Those minds could be used somewhere for something.

I JUST WISH THEY WOULD STAY AWAY FROM TECHNICAL DISCUSSION FORUMS.

To put this BS question back into perspective, one needs to remember what "SWR" is. A ratio of reflected RF back into the finals when transmitting.

Unless a close and very powerful signal is saturating any antenna, it would be a myth to say that skip affects its SWR. WW's answer is most correct - IMO...

To keep it honest SWR is the ratio of minimum to maximum current or voltage at the load end of an R.F. generator.

Reflected power is not entirely absorbed by the final amp.

That was a Good one..
Guess next time i am talking skip...
i will need look at the SWR's...

Ahh....Nope....lol...that was at least a original line os B.S.

It must be something in the water over in that area of the country around DC, that makes this CB Joker and his follower's come off just plain "full-of-it." :glare:

It's the same with all our so-called "government leaders" in the DC area as well, both REP'$ & DEM'$. :mad:

No rhyme, no reason, no sense.

U just can't hardly believe a word they say.
(y)

To keep it honest SWR is the ratio of minimum to maximum current or voltage at the load end of an R.F. generator.

Reflected power is not entirely absorbed by the final amp.

Hey HiDef, you and Rob are taking this BS Joker too seriously. His pay grade is not up to the distinctions you make, and I'm not real sure about Rob either. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.