• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange Bedfellows

Apr 29, 2013
Had a rather rude awakening last night. Felt something under my blanket and was pretty sure I knew what it was. I guess they like the way I taste. Not sure if this is the same one that got me in the neck a couple of nights ago. After seeing one of these UCC's (unidentified creepy crawlers) about a year ago, I got on the net trying to find it's genus. No luck after a couple of hours of hitting numerous sites. Seems most of the worlds spider population is some sort of Wolf spider, so I guess that's what I'll call it. Sure are ugly. Not sure if those are venom sacks or lobster claws. This one was small compared to the one last year which was the size of a silver dollar. 73 - Gregg

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 273
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 275
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 294
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

I have never seen ANYTHING like that, you should continue your research....or at least contacting schools or local collectors with that picture and see what they say.

We have some very strange looking creatures among us up here, I think you would be very surprised rob !

I have never seen ANYTHING like that, you should continue your research....or at least contacting schools or local collectors with that picture and see what they say.

I have seen a few like Gregg's buddy... in our local mountains
my buddies cabin in ArrowBear...

Check this link:

Frequently Encountered Spiders in California

There are at least 3 species shown here that look very similar
or at least have most of the characteristics of gregg's bed guest

Dysdera crocata

Grass spiders
Family Agelenidae

Zoropsis spinimana
Family Zoropsidae

Anachemmis spp. and Titiotus spp.
Family Tengellidae

Big B

Broad-Faced Sac Spider?

Hi Guys, I submitted the photos to an entomologist and got a quick reply. Without the actual specimen, positive identification would be difficult, however Glen, the curator of the Spiders Rule web site has indicated that it looked like a Broad-Faced Sac Spider, that is not a real threat to humans. He also stated, that it also closely resembled a Desert Recluse which is quite venomous. Thanks for everybody's input. Gregg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.