• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Strange how antennas and prop goes...

RadioDaze

Antenna enquirer
May 11, 2015
For all the stacking odds in ones favour, there is nothing quite like putting a basic 1/2 wave antenna up at a height of 4 feet from the ground (a mere 100 feet above sea level) in 5 mins, shouting out and getting into the USA, S.Africa (6,000 miles) and Greece all within 20mins or so.

I know it can be done and often is with mobile whips but it is quite a contrast to the days where you put a big set up together (Gain Master or IMAX at 24 feet etc.) and then speak to as few or less stations over many hours. Don't get me wrong the more costly antennas work but always a little weirded out by a £28.00 ($42.00) 1/2 wave generic silver rod blowing smoke 6,000 miles away when I really was not expecting to. Super conditions today on 11m. I was just showing my dad how it works with the radio hobby and he was impressed by the contacts.

For DX the conditions really are everything and you cannot rely on it one day to the next. The mind boggles.

This now has my mind ticking over for a ground mounted Sirio 2016, Vector4000 or an 827.

lousy conditions here. heard some locasl saying they were getting some on their horizontals.
I rocked the world with my bigstick feedpoint 4 inches from the ground last cycle.

I'm repairing my base antenna so today when the skip started coming in on the shortwave I threw a magnet mount on the car in the driveway and ran some coax into the radio room. Talked all over the place today barefoot on SSB. Even made a contact on the bowl barefoot today. I love it when DX comes back for winter.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.