• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker 655 and 497hpc2

MNTSIDE

Jan 31, 2021
Good evening
I have just started in the hobby of repair and tuning radios
I have several Stryker I’ve been looking at
One I detuned to factory specs, clean signal on the O- scope and get nothing but good reviews on the air
The other 2 I haven’t messed with, except to check them in the scope and there both flat topped and pinched.
One of those two I have been running since I bought it, and I get good reports on that also, the other one has not been on the air.
So I’m a little confused on what is right and what is wrong
If the radio is flat topped and pinched off on the scope but still gets good sounding reports on the air is there any reason not to run the radio set up that way ?
What damage may this cause ?
Are radio shops setting these radios up to fail????
I e been thought that a clean signal on the scope is the best way to set up a radio and not so much wattage

The 497 hpc2 is PEP 60 to 70
The 655 is PEP around 90

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

The ones that are pinched and flat-topped may be putting out watts on nearby frequencies, not the one you've set the radio for. You'd need a spectrum analyzer to see that. Your wattmeter doesn't care where the watts are, it just says, "I see this many!"

Watts on unintended frequencies are watts going to waste.

As much crap as one screwdriver jockey gets around here, he does have one thing right. Cleaner is meaner.

The ones that are pinched and flat-topped may be putting out watts on nearby frequencies, not the one you've set the radio for. You'd need a spectrum analyzer to see that. Your wattmeter doesn't care where the watts are, it just says, "I see this many!"

Watts on unintended frequencies are watts going to waste.

As much crap as one screwdriver jockey gets around here, he does have one thing right. Cleaner is meaner.
Yes I understand about the wasted watts (splatter box).
Not to mention any names, but I thought I was getting the radios from a reputable tech … I guess not …. Cleaner is meaner

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.