• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker High Performance 10 meter amateur radio (cough cough, 11meters)

jdobbs2001

Mar 20, 2012
I accidentally broke off a little white cable when I opened up the Stryker SR-94HPC Amateur radio to take a look at what the insides look like, ie quality of construction etc.

when I plugged it in In error I pressed the P6 and function buttons at the same time, the radio is so small that its easy to accidentally hold down a few buttons by mistake when handling this radio.

During this mishap on power-up a secret menu appeared which would let you convert this into a CB radio all 40 channelized operation etc.. 4 watts carrier AM output. I suspect this was left in error during the design phase, maybe they were testing out the idea of offering a CB product and instead chose to sell only Amateur radios.

It has a hot receiver, I turned down the gain till the noisefloor went from 3s units (Lots of urban noise) to 0 and set the squelch. You are good to go it will open up squelch no problem on stations down in the mud, the audio out of the speaker is loud and clear.

I tested it in the South Florida hot box at 92f ambient, 52% Humidity for an extended period and had some good conversations. Unit got to about 112-113f evenly across the top of the unit according to the flir thermal camera. Power output would comply with FCC if this was a CB radio as measured and compared to legal CB radios such as the Uniden 520XL etc.. no over modulation or splatter etc.. clean output (AT 4)

In CB mode you cannot increase the power level its either 4w AM carrier or 4w FM. I have not tested FM or extra bands yet.

Temps are a bit concerning at 4 watts, I am not sure why this radio runs so hot compared to a Uniden Pro 520XL. Maybe my thermal concerns are overblown but I will be taking a look at internal components and see what they are rated at, Not sure I can recommend this for full 40w FM operations or 10w AM carrier operation(Unlocked in HF mode or Amateur mode) [unit has 3 modes, HF,CB,Amateur) There is no SSB with this radio. It is the cheapest FM capable 10 cough cough 11 meter radio.
Unfortunately the 94HPC does not come with CTCSS Tone squelch.

The diminutive 94HPC looks and feels more like a small commercial subscriber radio like a quasi Motorola mobile unit etc.. VS a CB. It is tiny.

Reactions: Staybolt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.