• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-10 antenna problem

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
While pulling this antenna off of my car to re-install my Tram 3000 in it's place the coax connector fell off the end of the coax because of a lousy factory job. So today I decided to put another connector on my Stryker antenna and toward the end I decided to do a continuity test on the connector to make sure I did it right and ended up with a shorted connector. After further tests I separated the antenna from the magnetic base and found no short in the connector-coax-or base. But I did find a short in the antenna itself, so now I need to take that apart and was wondering if anyone has ever had this antenna apart or is it some type of Factory Sealed unit that is impossible to get apart. The top looks like it has Allen Head Bolts but those could be Fake and just for looks. I'm all ears so I don't cause more damage because they aren't actually a cheap antenna. Thanks in advance ! Mike:ROFLMAO:

I have one of those and actually took it apart when it was new just to see the innards. Hold the base tightly and unscrew the top piece that the stinger slides into. The top shell comes off and there's the transparent sleeve inside. Don't lose the o-ring that's under the plastic shell. I think you'll see how the rest comes apart. It's a nicely built coil that you'll find in there.

And correct the allen heads are not real

Reactions: whiteastro
@whiteastro
I came across this video and remembered your question the other day. This is pretty much a visual of what I had replied but better.

Thanks for the video! I'll have to go back to the job again and see if I can get the coil to come out for further inspection. I got the top off but the coil stayed inside and I didn't readily see any problems so it sets on the bench. Spring is always a busy time with too many jobs waiting so that antenna has to wait. I'm thankful for my Tram 3000 which performs really well and looks better on the car anyway. I haven't been really excited about SR-10 performance since day 1 but maybe I just happen to get one of their lemons. ( It can happen ) Back to the drawing board as they say. Thanks again for your help !

It comes apart exactly the same way, I know because I have the mm too.
I'll have to dig a little deeper because my coil didn't come out as easy as the video. I'll be honest with you I haven't devoted enough time to it because I haven't had a lot of luck with that antenna since day 1 but that was about the time I bought and had trouble with my first President Mckinley radio so I just might have a bad taste in my mouth for that antenna and then the coax end falling off and finding a short in it. As much fun as radio can be sometimes the battles can P you Off. LOL

I'll have to dig a little deeper because my coil didn't come out as easy as the video. I'll be honest with you I haven't devoted enough time to it because I haven't had a lot of luck with that antenna since day 1 but that was about the time I bought and had trouble with my first President Mckinley radio so I just might have a bad taste in my mouth for that antenna and then the coax end falling off and finding a short in it. As much fun as radio can be sometimes the battles can P you Off. LOL
did you contact stryker?? they seem to always wanna correct issues with there customers .i always wondered about that tram 3000.. does it unscrew off the base /magnet like the stryker\wilson

Reactions: whiteastro
Sorry the Tram is actually a 3500, I guess I was remembering wrong on the # and no the Tram 3500 doesn't unscrew from the base. But it has reaped me more contact than any of my other mobile magnet mount antennas so I ordered another just the other night.

No I didn't contact Stryker and I'm just junking it because I have bigger fish to fry. My plate is full and I notice a damaged plastic washer inside the antenna that looks like it got hot at one time. The connector that connects the coil to the magnet base has continuity from the ground portion to the center pin so there is a short somewhere inside the coil unit and it is long past the warranty period so it is a one-of-these-days-project. And to be honest with you it isn't as attractive on the top of my car as the Tram 3500 so it doesn't Ring My Chimes. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.