• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-89MC

The frequency expansion is the same.

Without seeing a pic of the board, I can't tell you the hi and low carrier adjustments and the 2 modulation adjustments. However, from personal experience (a lot of it) I wouldn't touch the modulation pots in the new version (2015 to present). They are pretty much maxed out now. The carrier is set almost too high. I think it's around 9w high and 4 watts low. I definitely wouldn't go any higher. I normally turn the high down 1 watt less and that also adjusts the low to 3 watts. But, it's not essential. Also, spreading coils does nothing, despite directions I've seen.

I just got mine hooked up in my truck. Nice little space saver. I hood mounted a 4' firestick, because it was handy laying in my shop.

First time out with it I was able to carry on a conversation at about 12 miles with some local bases.

Sideband would be awesome, but trying to adjust the clarifier would suck pushing buttons.

Summary: good little radio if space is an issue, and does talk and receive well. Controls are both handy in that they are all in the mic, and a pain in the azz in the functionality. It's a big talker in a micro package.

Reactions: Don_Q
Just got mine back from CbradiosPRONTO. Have to say, seriously impressed with the turnaround. I sent and received the radio back in less than a week, the frequency mod was complete and my locals like how it sounds, only issue was that they said my audio was not as loud as it used to be, but that's cause I used a D104M6B on my other rig,

I plan is to make up the difference with some wattage. I was making contacts over 10 miles away barefoot. I use at Sirio 5000 mobile whip on a 3 puck MFJ magnetic mount.

Thanks to CbradiosPRONTO for the work, will definitely recommend you to anyone I know needs work on the Stryker radios!

Reactions: Hurricane95
Sorry but I can get it cheaper on eBay shipped plus I already found out how to convert it over. Good try though.

I guess it's your call to save a couple of bucks. This radio I am sure will be a surface mount board, if you have the micro equipment and know how to work on such tiny boards more power to you my friend.

Wait, I just saw this. The add on eBay is my ad, duh. The one that is cheaper is the old model. No MOSFET, bad filtering, no noise blanker, no rf gain control, no high/low power. If you did buy it, it was from me. :).

Unless you were selling yours for $89 shipped no conversion.

I guess it's your call to save a couple of bucks. This radio I am sure will be a surface mount board, if you have the micro equipment and know how to work on such tiny boards more power to you my friend.

Yes it is smt. The conversion was as simple as removing a small blob of solder on the board. The more challenging part was dropping the carrier. But hey I did it myself, and it came out great. Plus I gained a little bit of knowledge which is usually good.

For a mic extension just use a computer LAN cable to extend it. I've done this on Ham rigs that remote mount. Works good.

Has anyone tried this yet? I want to do the extension. Anyone know of an LAN mobile plug? maybe something I can add to the dash and plug the mic into the dash itself. Run the extension from under the dash into my center console where I keep the other unit.

Yes I have done this. I also took a double female cat 5 connector I mounted in my dash panel so it looks like the mic plugs in the dash.

Reactions: Don_Q
I purchased a 10 foot cable as I have to run it from the center console and up to a spot on the dash where I will punch out a hole and have the connector attached there. I will then be able to plug in the mic and remove as needed (to secure it if in a bad part of town). I will post pics once the project is done.

Been forever since I’ve had one but the V2 version normally had sticker on the box. It was a round sticker and it seems like it had a big number 2 on it or something like that. It had a mosfet in it.
The tricky thing is that Stryker mixed up the boxes or the labeling during the transition. I believe that’s why they put a sticker on the front. The new versions were supposed to say HPC (on the sticker with the serial number and model number) but the old version ended up with it say HPC89 and the new version didn’t.
Only way I know would be to pop the cover and see if there is a mosfet in it.

Reactions: Eldorado828
All I have to go on is this picture and I can't tell. Serial says 89hpc 14******* . I'm guessing from 2014? I'm looking to have for emergency use in my wife's ride if it's a v220200404_235643.jpg

Have a v2 got from Bob’s CB going 5 years without a problem. I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone that wants a small size for install. It’s been in 3 different vehicles for me. I have a CAT 5 extension cable for the microscope extension and external speaker.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Have a v2 got from Bob’s CB going 5 years without a problem. I would not hesitate to recommend it for anyone that wants a small size for install. It’s been in 3 different vehicles for me. I have a CAT 5 extension cable for the microscope extension and external speaker.
That's good to hear and that's why I'm trying to determine if the radio in the link above is a version 2. If it's a v2 then I might just snag it but only if it is. I'd hoped someone could help me out.

I am not 100% sure if this is correct. I was told the 89MC is the v2. The 89HP is the v1. I was told the difference is the v2 is dial finals. I was told when i bought it the high output was swinging to 36-37 watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?