• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR-955HP Video Overview

Where has there been any stability testing that shows it is more stable than a RCI2950DX? It cost more! It does not have a second VFO. The user interface is terrible, awkward, slow like a computer with no keyboard or mouse and no touch screen. You have 7x knobs, 4 of them are dual pots, 5x 3 position switches and 3 push buttons at least one of them being to drive a menu that has to be clicked through with fixed time delays that you must weight for after making a menu change for it to take effect. What a nightmare. Why not add a punch card reader and program it in ASL400. It has mosfet finals which is not a problem for me but the numbers being given are PEP not RMS and who cares about PEP. Did you see how big of a pain it is to use the continuous tuning and change the adjustment range??? This radio is an SSB radio for someone that would really like an old Uniden made Cobra 148 with a LessComm board, echo, talk back, roger beep and an RFX 150 but does not want to buy all the parts send it out to be installed and wait for ever. This gives them all of that in one package with no technician needed and no waiting.

I do not currently own an RCI2950DX I did own a 2950 from 1991-1998 or 1999 when it was stolen and I used it driving all the time. I did T-Hunts aka Fox Hunts with it in large cities and in the wilderness all the time while driving. I can assure you I could run circle around that Stryker with one all day long using every function the radio had including split function and ctcss tones. I seldom had to take my eye's off the road to work it. I talked mostly on SSB and again could tune in a person while driving. I would love to see someone try that on the Stryker 955. I am pretty sure the way those knobs and switches are layed out and the need to use the function key and flip through the menu most of the radio is unusable while driving.

My President Lincoln while I love the old girl has what I thought was a terrible control face layout and poor readability of the tiny screen is still better than the Stryker. Once you memorize the band map I can still move through it and select freq. faster than on the Stryker even with it's continuous tuning because the interface is so clunky due to it's menu driven layout. Why? Because I can move the carrot/cursor quickly and turn the knob really quickly to dial in the freq. not as fast as with a 2950 or the Origanal Ranger 3300/3500's but still fast.

If they where going to put a USB port on this they should have given the radio a Windows based user interface that would allow you to completely control all of the radios function from your computer.

Instead they made a watered down 2950 because it lacks the dual VFO or Split function and offer's nothing in place of those features for more money and gave it a Galaxy 88/99 type face plate and painfully awkward menu driven interface. Oh I almost forgot it has a rainbow of color option...WOW! No enhanced fidelity on transmit or receive, no enhanced detection of weak signals, no speech processing, no rf processing, no choice of notch filtering, no ready made means of inputting higher quality audio. Their is so much they could have done since it is not a Part 15 type accepted CB radio. If you say you worked with the manufacture for 2 years to design it and this is what they bring to market it kind of makes me wonder what they where talking about for 2 years??
Stryker ain't that hard to use lol. Maybe a old thread but just sayin..its a simple design.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated