• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stumped Superbase

bigwheel82

Feb 24, 2011
North East Corner
Alright so I acquired a GE Superbase that at the moment is not so super. The rig received superbly on all modes, but would not transmit. Key of the mic would produce a little needle bump, but no mod., no transmit power. Nothing even to another radio.

Having the ambition and little knowledge I do thus far, wired up a new 636 for starters <which produced the same results as the original mic>, then proceeded to check the switching transistors on the board which all seemed to function according to the schematic. Not so sure of what I've actually done, but with the setup of the TWO boards, I disconnected the harnesses connecting them and it seems as I may have fried the AF AMP chip as the rig went into "assault" mode not having those wired jumpers. Now the IC gets smoking hot and it would appear as I have no audio/recieve at all.<?>

What I'm wondering is did the IC get smoked or did something else get smoked and is now over volting the IC, as I don't think it wise to turn the rig on at all to test any further. .. .

Found some used AF IC's I ordered and going to go ahead and replace it, see if I get some audio back. Looks like at some point someone had done a real crummy job of either replacing the pll02A, or doing some kind of channel mod, as the traces around the pll are pretty well scratched up and the soldering was offensive. There are also some traces in other areas that have been cut, so maybe that's why she won't transmit. Still needing to figure out how to test the other board for voltages without the radio freaking out by not having the wired connectors hooked up...may have to make my own jumpers.<?> Other possibilities include the 2 different relays. One at the front of the radio, and the other at the 2 antenna jacks. It sucks that there is very little info for this radio. For now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.