• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Subbing MRF 455s for..................

Birddog2009

Apr 14, 2014
I have a base amp that has dead MRF 455 stud mounds.. What else can i use if anything? Or should i just toss the amp in the garbage can?

So it will work. Okay. Well i guess ill buy some. I found some NTE333s at Kens Electronics but HOLY CATS they are seriously pricy!

I have a set of MRF455A's that are good used pulls I'd let go for 45.00 shipped. Those are the stud mount transistors.

The SD1446's will sub but as I stated earlier the PCB has to be cut out for the flanges, and 4 holes have to be tapped into the heatsink to bolt them down.

Let me know if you wish to buy the 455A's. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 2 people
I think some are confused about the MRF 455 And the MRF 455A
The SD1446 uses two screws to mount the transistors, the 455A has no screw holes, it has one long stud on the transistor that screws through the heat sink.
Very hard to find and very expensive.
As already said, the 1446 will work, but you will have to drill and tap threads for the mounting screws, and on top of that, unless you move the board around, there is now a serious lack of solid metal under the 1446 because of the original hole that the stud screwed into.
Also, as has already been said, the cutouts in the board itself are going to be small for the 1446 and need to be opened up.
Exit 13 has made a very good offer, I would jump on that if you want the amp brought back to life in the best possible way, with the least amount of work.

See the links below to compare the case styles of the Transistors.
( note that they are not 455a`s, just showing the case styles )

MRF401 Transistor, 28 volt - MRF400 Series - MRF/SRF/M Series - RF Transistors

MRF412MP Transistor, 12 volt - MRF400 Series - MRF/SRF/M Series - RF Transistors

Jeff

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.