• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

substance inside an old radio

There is a hardened, almost crystalized, substance inside an old radio I just purchased. It is transparent with a reddish tint. I don't know if I should worry about it or not. The radio doesn't work and I was going to get it repaired, so I want to know if it is important.

Just a guess, but maybe it's rosin left over from soldering. If you judiciously put a small screwdriver blade corner on a chunk of the stuff on the board and press, does the stuff break into a sort of tan powder? If so, I think my diagnosis is confirmed.

Try reheating the areas with the substance and see if it goes away. Shouldn't be anything drastic - just maybe a bit of rosin smoke.

Just a guess, but maybe it's rosin left over from soldering. If you judiciously put a small screwdriver blade corner on a chunk of the stuff on the board and press, does the stuff break into a sort of tan powder? If so, I think my diagnosis is confirmed.

Try reheating the areas with the substance and see if it goes away. Shouldn't be anything drastic - just maybe a bit of rosin smoke.

You described it to a T. That is exactly what it is. It is everywhere though. It isn't just a blob here and there. It is almost like an enamel that is coating much of the interior. Even on some parts of the chassis. It does turn to a tan powder if scraped, and my soldering gun made it go away.

I appreciate the response.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.