• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suggestions for next couple radios.

Jun 5, 2015
I got a couple of two-way radios for road trips - I'm in convoy six times a year, but I wanted radios to take into the field, so I got a super-cheap pair, one was a little sketchy but worth it for the extra battery etc. Ordered a mid-range replacement, got a GMRS licence, studying for the amateur technician test...

Question: in a road trip situation, do both radio operators need GMRS licence, or can the one licencee legally operate both?

Want a pretty tough handheld, weather, dust....any suggestions?

Suggestion on portable bases? $200 or so? Are there any that cover UHF/VHF and CB?

Thanks.

I got a couple of two-way radios for road trips - I'm in convoy six times a year, but I wanted radios to take into the field, so I got a super-cheap pair, one was a little sketchy but worth it for the extra battery etc. Ordered a mid-range replacement, got a GMRS licence, studying for the amateur technician test...

Question: in a road trip situation, do both radio operators need GMRS licence, or can the one licencee legally operate both?

Want a pretty tough handheld, weather, dust....any suggestions?

Suggestion on portable bases? $200 or so? Are there any that cover UHF/VHF and CB?

Thanks.

That depends on who is using the radio. One license is limited to an individual and their immediate family. The term "immediate family" according to the FCC is limited to the license holder's spouse, children, stepchildren, parents, stepparents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws. (47 CFR 95.179)

If it is a family trip that is fine. If it is a bunch of random people then that is not fine according to the FCC, not that you couldn't use it that way and likely get away with it.

They don't make multiband GMRS radios, they are all UHF, although they do have some that have the FRS frequencies as well, and some frequencies are available to both services. Also, none of the GMRS radios that I have ever seen will also cover CB frequencies. The HF CB frequencies are simply to far away from the GMRS frequencies, and the only way to do such would be to put two different radios in one unit. They would also need two separate antennas as CB antennas and GMRS antennas are nothing alike when it comes to length. If you want CB as well you should simply buy a CB.

The DB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.