• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Suitable replacement capacitor

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I have a Uniden PC68LTW that started motor boating on the WX board. I have narrowed down the culprit to what I am sure is a defective cap. (the cap doesn't build up anything when tested with a multimeter/shows continuity for a split second then shows nothing, even after I unsoldered from the board)

The cap is a 50 V. 10 microfarad cap. I have a few old radios sitting around that have 10 MF 16V caps. In the meantime I am going to have to special order my cap off Rat Shack's website.

For testing purposes, you don't suppose one of the 10 MF 16 V caps would work would you?

I have a Uniden PC68LTW that started motor boating on the WX board. I have narrowed down the culprit to what I am sure is a defective cap. (the cap doesn't build up anything when tested with a multimeter/shows continuity for a split second then shows nothing, even after I unsoldered from the board)

The cap is a 50 V. 10 microfarad cap. I have a few old radios sitting around that have 10 MF 16V caps. In the meantime I am going to have to special order my cap off Rat Shack's website.

For testing purposes, you don't suppose one of the 10 MF 16 V caps would work would you?

Absolutely would be ok for testing purposes.
You might even be able to leave it in there if it proves to remedy the problem.
Unless your automotive electrical system routinely exceeds 16 volts I don't expect it to cause a problem.
Granted, it is on the border line but I would be willing to take a chance.
You should be able to dig the part you need from some old retired/broken electronics that you or someone you know has lying about.
Or you could go to the thrift store and buy a clock/table radio for a buck and remove the part from it to install in the uniden.... just an idea.
There's zillions of those parts still soldered onto circuit boards in things that have no value any more for whatever reason.

I order my parts from Mouser. No minimum on parts, and very reasonable shipping (to Hawaii at least, where most companies want to charge you $25 just to even type Hawaii into the computer, if at all). Look around and grab other assorted parts. I can always find bits that I need :blush:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.