• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Super Diode

T

tecnicoloco

Hi:

I wonder were I can locate this type of diodes?

They use to call "Super Diodes".

Anyone???

Thanks in advance.

Tecnicoloco.

</p>

Hi:

Anyone???

Thanks in advance.

Tecnicoloco.

</p>

A super diode? As opposed to a regular diode????

Click Here To Go To FG Best Communications

lookearth452034.gif

A word to the wise is not necessary; it’s the stupid ones that need the advice. - Anonymous</p>

I think what he is talking about was refered to as a "Swinger" diode, a replacment variactor diode,they were used to increase the range of the "slide" on the RIT (clarifer) after modifying the radio to move on TX/RX. It has been a while since I have seen that term used.

???Maybe??

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>

I think what he is talking about was refered to as a "Swinger" diode, a replacment variactor diode,they were used to increase the range of the "slide" on the RIT (clarifer) after modifying the radio to move on TX/RX. It has been a while since I have seen that term used.

???Maybe??

Jeff

<span style="color:eek:range;font-family:helvetica;font-size:large;">RadioActive</span>

20040427_0100_eit_171.gif

</p>

Hi:

Anyone???

Thanks in advance.

Tecnicoloco.

</p>
If you find any of these diodes please pass info along. They had extremely high capacitance shift over the voltage range of 0-8 volts. On the order of 450 pf or more. Clarifiers that would open only a few kc's would more than double the range with these high capacitance varactor diodes. Or any other spicey name you want to give them. Many radios that could only transcieve on about 120 or so channels would almost double with this diode in series the VCO varactor. PLL 02A and upd858 radios especially. Made a Cobra 2000 using a 11.1158, 11.3258 and 11.4758 crystal to lock and transcieve from 26.175 to 28.525 mhz. Covers the tech+ voice portion of 10 meters without losing CB channels or 80 channels of lowers. It is an awesome diode. You don't have to play with 4.7, 5.6 microhenry chokes, jumping resistors in the VCO area to boost range or in the clarifier circuit, etc. Clarifier range on the 2000 is 40kc's on LSB! 15 kc's up. 25 kc's down. A bit less on USB and AM. Has to due with inductance and capacitance variances in each mode.

Clarifier range on the 2000 is 40kc's on LSB! 15 kc's up. 25 kc's down. A bit less on USB and AM. Has to due with inductance and capacitance variances in each mode.

Which is really quite ridiculous really since it becomes extremely touchy tuning unless the control is retrofitted with a vernier drive pot. +/- 10 KHz, actually only +/- 5 KHz is really all that is needed to go anywhere with ease. I remember some radios with a ridiculous clarifier range that would jump all over the place when the pots got dirty.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated