• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superstar 158EDX problems.

superman180

Feb 21, 2009
Let me start off by saying this is not a rant regarding anyone just wanted to vent about my situation.

I ordered a Superstar 158 from Sparkys shack on 2/06/09 and received it on 2/13/09 the shipping was as promised and they even threw in a free external speaker very cool. I got the radio hooked up in my truck and started checking my match, it was 1.3 on the meter which was a touch lower that the previous radio was reading when I removed it. I was happy and started talking to some locals looking for some feedback.

First thing I noticed is, I wasn't hearing any Rodger beep thru the talk back, it has been a while since I had a radio with Rodger beep and in all honesty I could not remember if I should have been hearing it anyway. I adjusted the echo to my liking and could hear a definite change when I turned the Rodger beep on then off on the radio, no beep just a deference in they way it unkeyed. I got a radio check and asked if they could here a beep, the first report was no beep and then another operator came on and said it sounded like it had a very slight chip and the end of the transmission but no real beep.

Well even though the Rodger beep was acting up I was getting positive reports on the radio, audio sounded great. At this point I gave a buddy a call and asked him to fire up his radio and give me a check, he lives probably 15 miles away as the crow flies and I figured this would be a good test. His report was radio sounded very good however no Rodger beep, we talked for approx 10 mins and in this time frame believe it or not I slowly started getting a beep, I could hear it thru the talk back and my friend confirmed it, after a few minutes it was a very solid beep and now it looked like everything was functioning properly.

I had to leave town so I shut the radio off. A few days later I was back in town and had my brother over so we decided that we would play with the radio a little, I drove my truck a few miles down the road and he talked to me on my base station to see how the radio sounded and again no Rodger beep. We talked for a few minutes and once again the beep slowly started to work. I drove back home and had my brother switch places with me, I wanted to hear how my new mobile sounded. He drove about 8 miles down the road and we started talking.

At first it sounded great very clean audio just enough echo and a nice beep then it happened. I just started hearing a dead key no audio I thought my brother was playing around with me till he called me from his cell and asked why I was not responding.

At this point the Radio will key up but there is NO AUDIO in fact it goes to full power no swing on the needle. Needless to say I am pretty bummed out I called Al (AKA) Sparky the next morning and he told me to send it back and they would look it over. Now I have to wait another 2 weeks to see what the out come will be, man does this suck.

Well hopefully Sparky will get it all fixed up for you. It sounds like there was an issue with the electrolytic capacitor in the roger beep circuit. It just sucks when you wait with great anticipation for an item, only to be disappointed when you have to send it back.

Well, I would just send it back to Sparky and have him make it right. I've heard a few complaints, but I'm very happy with my Ranger TR-696FD-1 that he also tuned up and modified when I bought it from him. If he can't fix your radio right up - then there is room to gripe superman180 - that's for sure. My money is on Sparky making it right. Be sure to fully explain all of the problems that you are aware of.

I'm no tech, but it sounds as if there is multiple failures occuring around the audio chipset. Typical that description of having no transmission audio and all carrier ususally is centerd in the audio chip. The roger beep is also a part of this circuit, if I'm not mistaken. Could be wrong...

Last edited:
Well, I would just send it back to Sparky and have him make it right. I've heard a few complaints, but I'm very happy with my Ranger TR-696FD-1 that he also tuned up and modified. If he can't fix that radio right up - then there is room to gripe - superman180. My money is on Sparky making it right. Be sure to fully explain the problems that you are ware of.

I'm no tech, but it sounds as if there is multiple failures occuring around the audio chipset. Typical that description of having no transmission audio and all carrier ususally is centerd in the audio chip. The roger beep is also a part of this circuit, if I'm not mistaken. Could be wrong...

This is my thinking as well. He already has the radio and I should here something back by Monday. I can say that he must be very busy because phone conversations with him are rather abrupt, but that could be a good thing.:unsure: Also when the radio was working it sounded great that alone eases my mind. Thanks for the comments.

Undertaker, I would like to here why you were not pleased just for curiosity sake, it is hard to buy into negative comments with no back up.

NO I dont care to explain why!!! All it will do is start a pissing contest..

Nuff Said....

I will say it then. AM exports have cut traces on their limiters, AM cb's have diodes removed. I have had several good transactions with Al in the past. However, I have been reading several posts of AM/SSB radios coming out of his shop that are off frequency and having problems. Al is a good guy and has always treated me well and given me awesome prices. However, I am not a fan of "warranty seals." I have taken my business elsewhere.

Thank you Bob I got a 250.00 dollar radio form him. And it is a piece of junk!!! I have to send it to someone else WHO CAN TUNE A RADIO!!! They sure as hell cant!!!!:angry:

Looks like you got your answer superman!!! Not the one you want to hear im sure!!!:LOL:

Yeah thanks for standing behind your statements.;)

My radio went back at the beginning of last week and I talked with Sparky on Monday 2-23-09, he stated that there was an issue in the Rodger beep circuit and he is just going to send me a new radio. I am happy with this outcome; I would prefer another radio rather than a repaired one.

One more thing I would like to say that when this radio was working properly it sounded great with a ton of clean audio, at least to my ears and several locals out here. My only concern now will be longevity, if the radio lasts like it should Sparky will always get my business. He has handled this problem in the correct manner and in good time, seems to me that he stands behind his product.

Thanks again for the replies.
Mike.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.