• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superstar 3900 problem

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
When the radio is keyed/TX in AM mode; the meter/radio output swings to full 15w w/o any modulation. Radio is otherwise fine on SSB when in TX or RX. I changed the 2SB754 transistor already thinking that was the problem; but no luck with that.

See if the gurus know about this one.

The schematic here is for a Galaxy 77 radio; but it is basically the same radio (3900 chassis):

Attachments

• dx77hml_sch_main.pdf
    396.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

the single final rigs had 945's with a 150ohm resistor dual final used d471l with 47ohm resistor, make sure you put it in the right way round, remove it or lift one end of r243 to eliminate a possible cause.

was full power in all modes the original fault, have you measured the base of the 754 when switching modes, measured voltage on the bias test point card when switching modes?, the finals must be getting full voltage from somewhere if its actually making full output.

Reactions: 1 person
was full power in all modes the original fault, have you measured the base of the 754 when switching modes, measured voltage on the bias test point card when switching modes?, the finals must be getting full voltage from somewhere if its actually making full output.

Full power output on keydown was/is the original problem on AM; SSB works fine.

2SB754/AM:
RX/base 13.31v
TX/base 12.32v

Have you listened to the radio when it's keyed up in AM?? Is it a dead carrier, or is it squealing, warbling,whatever??

No sound; just a 15w carrier.

Reactions: 1 person
Reactions: 2 people
TR32/2sc945/AM Shunt was removed in this radio.
I popped one in to clear up the poor SSB performance and re-connected r228.
SSB sounds much better now.

However this radio was working fine until it had this AM/FM problem.

What circuits are different from AM and SSB?
Perhaps I should concentrate on that aspect?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?