• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

superstar ss 158 edx

you could always buy a radio made by MAXON in Korea or Thailand, I'm certain that would instantly restore your faith in Chinese radios. even better, buy a cobra 200 gtl dx, that will restore your faith in even Maxon built radios nevermind Chinese ones.

JAZZ, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!

IIRC, the EDX uses the 6900 chassis. Drifting is assured. But it is in company of a lot of other radios, as Jazz pointed out. Temperature is the real consideration. Once it is warmed up it becomes stable unless ambient air temperature changes.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/rci/ss_158edx/index.htm

I have the SS 3900 and the SS 360FM/MkII, and I think they are fine radios.

One thing you may find annoying that it has in common with many other export radios, is that the coarse clarifier is unlocked and the fine clarifier is not. To complicate this, is that the coarse clarifier probably has a center detent. Which means that if you want to tune to someone and they are just slightly off, the detent will pull it back to the center position. The only real solution is to have the fine clarifier unlocked so that it with track RX right along with TX, as the coarse clarifier already does.

Overall, I think you will be happy with it.
Just don't expect it to jump tall buildings with a single bound and you won't be disappointed . . .

Last edited:
just bought one off of e bay. havent even recieved it yet and im already dissapointed. i read some reviews that were not so good. ssb drift, fm muffeled modulation, and the made in china thing, cheap componets, poor quality control, etc. hope its not as bad as the reviews.

Enjoy the radio. Run mine on the base with a D104 Silver Eagle..

ss-158

bought one off eBay today done up by Doc looking forward to
getting it....I do a lot of 10 meter so the drifting might be and issue...
I quess will see.....73's

hmm

is that doc of n.y if it is do not expect
the outer box. for some unknown reason he refuses to send the box.
i asked him why no box. i got no reply. you will get the brown cardboard
but no outer box. oh and it ships from a truck stop in flordia

ss-158EDX

The seller I bought it from in Cali said comes with original box and
everything that came in box, ,and yes New York
doc...I've heard a lot of good things about his work just on
this forum alone, what i like about it the most is the old school look, like the cobra 148 gtl but with all the bells and whistles '.....73's.....

Attachments

• super star 158 ss.JPG
    super star 158 ss.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
ok

The seller I bought it from in Cali said comes with original box and
everything that came in box, ,and yes New York
doc...I've heard a lot of good things about his work just on
this forum alone, what i like about it the most is the old school look, like the cobra 148 gtl but with all the bells and whistles '.....73's.....

not the same doc of ny
this guy works out of a moblie trailer in flordia truckstop
not this guy http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=181134949040

ss-158EDX

tuned by the doc of NY as he "quotes" but yet he shows a address in Florida... anybody know why he says doc of NY...when he lives in Florida....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.