• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Superstar SS158EDX Radio Review

jvergot

Jan 10, 2010
Headjammer here. Is there anybody out there that can give me some pros and cons about the Ranger:eek: SS158EDX Radio.I would like to hear your comments.

I ve talked all around the world with mine as a base. Dont like the dual clarifier and a warm up period is recommended in cooler weather(drift). The stock mic is pretty damn good too. Got mine from customcbradios.com about 5 or 6 years ago and still does well. I run 250 watt Galaxy base amp and a D104 Silver Eagle up to an Imax 2K up in a pine tree(110 ft up) and a 3 element Maco beam on a push up about 35 feet up. The anl/nb button isnt all that great but I don't really need it on a base. The echo is pretty cool if you like echo. On the AM side it BLASTS! Sometimes I dx on the AM side and does very well, also. Hope this helps you out a bit. The next radio I would get for my base would be a RCI 2950, but I would NEVER sell my SS 158...Wavin from World Radio 778 in Southern Cal!!!!

I had one for less than a year. Display was kind of bright for night driving. The talk back was bad so it was hard to set your echo. The radio sounded good on transmit. Receive was good. It was just nothing special like I was hoping for it to be.

Reactions: jon666
I had one. A few people thought it was a Connex. The roger beep doesn't work when cold. Leds were indeed super bright at night.

I talked skip to a guy in California to NJ, he had a 158 I liked it so much I bought one, use it for a base on my Imax. I like it a lot, just cold it seems to move around on frequency but one warm it stays on, I too think the lights are too bright, have to figure out a way to dim them after it gets out of warranty.

Attachments

• ranger 158edx.jpg
    ranger 158edx.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.