• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swan Mark II Amp

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Talked to a guy who is selling a nearly pristine Swan Mark II amplifier 10-80m. Has two 3-500Z tubes, which is what I was looking for in an amp. Passed on a deal for a Henry 2K2. He wanted more money than I could get this Swan for.

Transformer, tubes, and caps have been replaced.
He has the manual and all of the service papers on it as well.

This will be my first real amp.

Guy says that it is 100% operational and looks are 8.5; says it is really quiet too.

I noticed that it doesn't have a standby switch; guess I will need to put one in it.

Need to set it up for the Kenwood TS-2000 and the FlexRadio SDR-1000; neither of which have an ALC jack.

Making the purchase today.

Can anyone tell anything about it that I might need to know about?
Any particular problem areas that I might pay attention to?

I understand that Swan amps from the era were also built to last.
This one was built in 1967 and still going strong.

Comments?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

will need a tuned input, tuner between radio and amp will work. page 94 on ur ts2000 for ur ALC pin.
Rich

Owner says that it will do legal limit/1500watts power output. Must have upgraded the power supply with a bigger transformer and voltage divider board. Guess I should send him an email and ask. Otherwise, these amps are supposed to be able to do just a little over a KW on SSB from the factory. Bought it for $600 including the shipping.

It is wired for 220 and I have a dedicated receptacle for it in the shack already. . .

Last edited:
NICE BUY ROBB ! !

I use a Ameritron ARB 704 keying interface (cheap insurance)
inbetween my Kenwood TS 50 and National NCL-2000 to keep the voltage out of the electronics of the radio, The National keys with 14 volts AC.....

If the owner does not send the foot switch with amp...

PS. Welcome to the land of QRO

NICE BUY ROBB ! !

I use a Ameritron ARB 704 keying interface (cheap insurance)
inbetween my Kenwood TS 50 and National NCL-2000 to keep the voltage out of the electronics of the radio, The National keys with 14 volts AC.....

If the owner does not send the foot switch with amp...

PS. Welcome to the land of QRO
I like the idea of the foot switch better - since I have one already. Its cheaper that way; and I am cheap. Dad used to tell me 'Nothing wrong with making that Indian ride the buffalo on the back of that nickel I gave you.' However, I don't want to run the risk of messing up my radios either. That won't be cheap to fix.

I've done all right with 100 watts/less so far. Usually just 60 watts. But I intend to use this amp solely for the Ham bands. Want to do it right.

Well, it looks like the tank coils are intact. I don't see any signs of arcing. Only thein he has been a tech for only 30 days. Most likely used on 11 meter, wonder how hard he drove it?
Rich

Not to mention it's his first post on Fweds site.

Hope you didn't do paypal gift.

Enough negativity, I think you did okay. I'd like to powder coat and silk screen it.

It would look cool.

Well, it looks like the tank coils are intact. I don't see any signs of arcing. Only thein he has been a tech for only 30 days. Most likely used on 11 meter, wonder how hard he drove it?
Rich
Hmmm. . . .hard to say. I know this amp was a mate to the Swan radios of that era, and some of them could put out up to 200 watts or even more. Can drive it with as much as 125 watts - I wouldn't do that. Manual says 100 watts for full output. I intend to drive it with 25-50 watts BTW.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.