• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sweep Tube Amp Question

PA629 said:
I have an older sweep tube amp in 1x3 configuration using 6je6's. Given the availability and cost of NOS tubes for this, what is the feasibility of re-tubing this with something more readily available like EL509/519's, or maybe 572B's? (Although I suspect I don't have the voltage required by some of the big glass.) Doesn't have to remain in the same config. I'm not looking for a huge wattage increase (no, I don't play on the Supabowl, 10-4, Rogeee..... :roll: ), just something in the 180-250W range would be adequate, any more than that would just be icing on the cake. Any thoughts on the subject? Suggestions? I have a feeling that the cost to re-invent the wheel is going to be not worth the effort, but I hate to give up on an amp that's almost mint except for the tubes. Am I beating a dead horse here? TIA

theres 6 different drop in tubes that you can use with no conversions for that setup 1 driving 3 6JE6 I will list the 2 best....(6LQ6--nice tubes 6.3 Heater voltage--2.5 A Heater Current 20-60 bucks 30-85 watts)
(6KM6 6.3 Heater voltage--1.6 A Heater Current 13-30 bucks 20-70 watts 10 watts less compared to the 6LQ6's.)
EL509/519's ....not worth converting will cost more then buying the 4 tubes.....
same thing with the 572B's way more money to convert this unit over 9 pins to 4 pin sockets...not worth it :)

so total re-tube for that linear 4 6LQ6's 30-60 bucks a piece o try ebay...I can get them for 30 a piece NIB...300-350 watts ...

or
4 6KM6's 13-30 bucks a piece I can get them for 13 bucks a piece NIB 275-325 watts

now the wattage is how you swing into the linear...2 watts swinging 20 is a nice setup or less....

PM me if you need them tubes ...like I said NIB(new in box)
and stored vertical....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned