• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swing mod for Gen. Lee

preacherman

Feb 21, 2006
Northern Illinois
Have a Lee I bought used...it had the limiter (r249) clipped.
I replaced the resistor,but now swing is quite limited on the low power setting. Looking for the info on how to set the Lee up for big audio and swing.
preacherman

Hey Lords...thank you!
I put the radio in the pickup with a small two
pill in line...keying 10 and swinging to about 100. (the box, not the radio. Nothing but good reports...guy about 15 miles away said he thought I was on the base.
preacher...

preacherman said:
Hey Lords...thank you!
I put the radio in the pickup with a small two
pill in line...keying 10 and swinging to about 100. (the box, not the radio. Nothing but good reports...guy about 15 miles away said he thought I was on the base.
preacher...

I didn't think the General Lee needed a swing kit ??

need help w/ general lee

Help, I did an npc mod on the general lee. After two weeks I blew the finals. I did the diode mod at c189 and jumpered tp8 and tp9 and volted tp7. One thing, tr32 was missing. I didn't replaced it. What voltage readings was I suppose to look for and was the npc mod done right. {before the mod it did 30 watts pep,after the mods it swing 40 watts pep and D/K is 15 watts.}

why you guys bother with all this stuff in a general lee is beyond me .my lee has no swing mods ,no parts replaced,just turn up the modulation vr and that should be plenty.mine swings 50-55 peak from any carrier setting .i have low set at a watt and a half and it swings full peak from there ..i have high set to 3 watts and again it swings full monty.those npc mods ,swing kits,ect...arent needed in the general lee .
it is a great radio by just turning up the vr for the modulation.you can set deadkey levels inside the radio for your high n low .

you see the guy in the above post blew his finals in a lee with a npc mod .thats because its not needed in this radio.good luck

swing

Place a 1n4001 diode (band side down,facing audio transformer) on R238 (Galaxy 88,Connex 3300HP etc) its the resistor closest to the audio transfomer, on the left side of it, near VR13. Lift the right side of the resistor and solder in the 4001 diode, band facing down. This will give you max swing no matter what the deadkey,and will increase the audio also. This mod works on most Galaxy and Connex chassis's.

I wouldn't trust a tip from anyone who doesn't know that the correct name of the "band" side of a diode is called "cathode".

Reactions: kc4eoe
why you guys bother with all this stuff in a general lee is beyond me .my lee has no swing mods ,no parts replaced,just turn up the modulation vr and that should be plenty.mine swings 50-55 peak from any carrier setting .i have low set at a watt and a half and it swings full peak from there ..i have high set to 3 watts and again it swings full monty.those npc mods ,swing kits,ect...arent needed in the general lee .
it is a great radio by just turning up the vr for the modulation.you can set deadkey levels inside the radio for your high n low .

you see the guy in the above post blew his finals in a lee with a npc mod .thats because its not needed in this radio.good luck

The mod is not needed. no mods are ever needed, the term mod would not exist if we felt we didn't want to MOD something, the point is, you can mod this unit, you just have to do it right. I have yet figured out what the point is for the 7 volts thing mentioned, I've been doing this a long time and I have never had to volt anything to mod these similar units, now that I felt was cause of death in the finals here.

Thanks, Dodgem

http://dodgem250.angelfire.com

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.