• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Swing mod for Grant LT

preacherman

Feb 21, 2006
Northern Illinois
Been looking for a swing mod for this radio.
It has a different # on the pc board than
the Grant XL's and so if some one can point
me to the right resistor to add the 1N4001
to, I'd appreciate it.
preacherman

Yes...and yes. I ask because the info I could find indicated that what was stated was only accurate for certain number/model pc boards. Mine does not have those numbers. Just not real excited about letting the magic smoke out of some transistors by indiscriminately putting diodes here and there.

Preacherman

NPC mod on a Grant won't hurt anything , SSB stays pretty good to my ear hole , and I certainly wouldn't call a NPC mod a butchering . Just gives the radio higher swing from the lower
DK on AM. May not be perfect , but I don't see a butchering.

Grant XL
1. Add a 1.5 K resistor on to the middle leg of Q24 (cut the track and bridge with the resistor)
2. Replace R126 (10k) with a 4.7k.
3. Replace R124 (10k) with a 4.7k
4. Re-tune coils L37 and L38 for maximum forward swing on AM mode.

MODULATION: Remove R131
AM POWER: VR10
SSB POWER: VR11

and Switchkit is Right about the NPC mod all it does it keep the full PEP watts while you can lower the Deadkey watts for a nice 4 to 1 or an amp:)...has nothing to do with clipping or ruining the modulation....

Switch Kit said:
NPC mod on a Grant won't hurt anything , SSB stays pretty good to my ear hole , and I certainly wouldn't call a NPC mod a butchering . Just gives the radio higher swing from the lower
DK on AM. May not be perfect , but I don't see a butchering.

They don't know what the NPC mod is.
on the old radios it works great.
Those new radios are crippled. It just doesn't work.

I know where the real mod is located.

Take care SK,
JD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.