• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR advice needed

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I would ground the antenna bracket itself to the frame. Because we're dealing with RF ground, not electrical ground the large diameter wire is necessary. Even better would be to use ground strap. The large diameter wire or ground strap is necessary because RF travels only along the surface of the wire. This is called the "skin effect". So to put it simply: to obtain a better RF ground, you need more surface for the RF to travel on.

Hope that helps.

Moleculo

</p>

I just got into a newer truck and am having trouble matching my antenna. I've tried 3 different antennas and get close to the same reading on all 3. The meter shows between 2 to 2.5. I just read the "Installation" info above and wondered about grounding my antenna bracket.

I'm doing this on a Kenworth. I've tried a Wilson 2000, and two Wilson Silver Loads,different lengths.

I'm gonna try a diffrent style stainless bracket and wondered about grounding to the frame. Should I ground the antenna bracket itself, or can I ground one of the mounts on the cab that hold the mirror? Also, can I use wire smaller than 4AWG?

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.