• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR high when amplifier is off

Not sure still but I am thinking now it may be my predator. When I tested with the Skipshooters 5ft and 7ft that have been matched, SWR is 1:3 matched on both and with amp on it drops down a little lower. When I hook the meter up to where the amp should be it is almost the same as the radio SWR 1:3. When I hook the predator up its 3 with the amp off and then drops down to the same as the others with the amp on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 530
Ok so I gave it a try and the FWD did not change when I switched the coax.
It is the reflected power you need to worry about.
Also SWR is expressed as a ratio. 1.3 : 1.0
Read as One point three to one. One to One is perfect. It is like the rear axle ratio. Four. eleven to one is a nice hotrod ratio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt Crunch
Not sure still but I am thinking now it may be my predator. When I tested with the Skipshooters 5ft and 7ft that have been matched, SWR is 1:3 matched on both and with amp on it drops down a little lower. When I hook the meter up to where the amp should be it is almost the same as the radio SWR 1:3. When I hook the predator up its 3 with the amp off and then drops down to the same as the others with the amp on.

This is good news!

Means that whatever quirk with that loose connector was repaired by retightening the whole mess.

Now, it also teaches a good lesson on both myself for being unsmart AND NOT ASKING FIRST if you did check all your connections. And making presumptions everyone else has already done their pre-flight checklist and we are all on the same pages as that famous OCCAMS Razor phrase...
  • OCCAMS RAZOR - with all things being the same or equal - the simplest explanation is the correct one.
So in a way I'm thankful you figured out that a loose connector and the subsequent refiddlnig of all the parts in the chain involved - is starting to make this the process of "maybe this was" just an install issue more that a tactical error of broken amp..

Reactions: 530 and Capt Crunch
This is good news!

Means that whatever quirk with that loose connector was repaired by retightening the whole mess.

Now, it also teaches a good lesson on both myself for being unsmart AND NOT ASKING FIRST if you did check all your connections. And making presumptions everyone else has already done their pre-flight checklist and we are all on the same pages as that famous OCCAMS Razor phrase...
  • OCCAMS RAZOR - with all things being the same or equal - the simplest explanation is the correct one.
So in a way I'm thankful you figured out that a loose connector and the subsequent refiddlnig of all the parts in the chain involved - is starting to make this the process of "maybe this was" just an install issue more that a tactical error of broken amp..

Yes, should have thought of that. Start from the beginning, lol. Checking everything over the next warmer day. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 530

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.