• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR issue Please Help

Greetings and hope I can help!

I bought a 2nd (or 3rd) hand Wilson 1000, worked great for the 1st 6 months after buying it off of flea-bay, but then the SWR kept climbing. I tried to tune it and ended up cutting off almost an inch off the whip with no significat improvement, so I got tired of :bdh: so I stuck it in a closet and it wasn't very happy at all. So, fast forward 6 more months when I was able to pick my CB shop tech's brain. He suggested checking the thin foil that's stuck onto the magnet surface that makes contact with the roof of the mobile it's mounted to and where it connects to the shield of the coax on top of the magnet. Lo-and-behold, it's barely has less than 1/8th " of solid connection from the top of the magnet to the base, the rest of the foil has ripped and is covered with rust. So, had a spare (used) K40 magent that we used for the 1000. Drilled out the rivet that held the shield (-) wire from the coax to the PL259 mount where the coil/whip mount screws into, installed a new ring-crimp terminal, and got a perfect match. If I have the time in the next few days, I'll photograph my K40 magnet Wilson 1000 mod. Hope this gives some ideas and hope you get it fixed. Great antenna BTW :D

Hank states in his original first post that the antenna is "brand new" so your scenario is not likely and as physco states the Wilson 1k does not have a shunt capacitor which is correct, as far as I know the only Wilson that does is the " lil will" model and it is a pos which I found doing test of my own against the Wilson 5k.

''It" is very possible the the shield does not have a connection do to a defect in assembly at the base and or the SO-239 connetor and he should check that as well as check of continuity from the center pin of the SO-239 to the antenna's whip and from the outer shield to where it connects to the antennas base, failure of one or both will cause this issue Hank speaks of and a break in either.

Thank you for your responses!!!! A RF engineer from Wilson and I worked on the problem Monday he was confident after 20 minutes of testing that the coil had a defect. Today I received a new 5000 coil in the mail and hooked it all up and tuned it down to 1.1 on the meter I have. Great customer service from Wilson!

Thank you for your responses!!!! A RF engineer from Wilson and I worked on the problem Monday he was confident after 20 minutes of testing that the coil had a defect. Today I received a new 5000 coil in the mail and hooked it all up and tuned it down to 1.1 on the meter I have. Great customer service from Wilson!

Awesome

Good to hear a company stands behind their products. I now have less fear of buying a new 1000 or 5000 to replace my tired 1000 mag mount. So far my Wilson 500 is still working well, but less user friendly if I have to take it apart like the 1000 to track down a bad magnet foil SWR issue. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress with wilson.

73's

Greg

Here's the close up of what I did to revive my rather old 1000 Mag mount.

wilson1000IMG_0840.jpg

Spare K40 magnet with good foil to base of magnet, crimp terminal for new ground from coax.

Greg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.