• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR meter, frequency range question?

towerdog

one-niner-seven
Nov 18, 2009
NC
I have a Philco "transmission analyzer", SWR/POWER/MODULATION meter, I can find no model number or anything for it online, but I do know this was used for CB. What is the typical frequency range for such a meter, and would it be accurate on 2 meters or be feasible to modify for higher frequency than 11m.

If it was designed for CB, then that's where it will likely be most accurate. It's probably fine for HF, but much less fine for VHF and above. Might be okay for relative measurements on 2M, but dimensionally unsuitable for anything more than that.

I'm not familiar with that model at all but I had two workman meters a while back. One was for 2m/70cm and the other was for 11 meters. They looked identical other than the labelling that I apparently wasn't paying attention to and accidentally hooked the cb one up to a UHF radio. As soon as I keyed up smoke starting coming out of the meter and well...it didn't end well.

I've seen a few "cb meters" that claimed that they would work up to 150Mhz or so, but unless it's stated as such on the specs, I wouldn't risk it. I would use it on other HF bands, though...if it calibrates, it's probably close enough.

I am with mole on the use on other HF bands I have done this and as stated as long as it actually calibrates on the band / frequency its gonna give a ballpark figure thats within the trusting zone or limits.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.