• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR\Power meter

Good Deal! Only one issue on my part...It's too small. I had to have the HP3:rolleyes::ROFLMAO::whistle:

After fiddling with it some more am kinda bummed out.

On 75 watts (SSB) it shows 25 on PEP and 50 on PEP Hold.
I have my compression and mic gain adjusted exactly as the manual says.

SWR readings match my RigExpert 54 exactly.

Did you hook 12 VDC to it? without the power cord, it will not read PEP correctly.
What does it show with a carrier?

Yes. Hooked to 13.8V power supply.
Carrier shows 62.

All readings are into antenna with 1:2 SWR.
No dummy load.

Last edited:
Never mind. Silly me. :whistle:

Taking into account line loss associated with 75' of RG8X, the 62 watts carrier is about right. A slight adjustment in compression (was a little shy of the recommended 10 dB) now results in a PEP (Hold) reading right at 60.

All is well now. Love this meter! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I made a call to the people that handle Diawa in usa they say it could 20% off at half scale and 10% off at full scale. I do not consider that acceptable.

I made a call to the people that handle Diawa in usa they say it could 20% off at half scale and 10% off at full scale. I do not consider that acceptable.

Based on my readings, mine seems to be doing pretty good once I remembered I was using an antenna rather than a dummy load. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
I am not totally happy. I am using a dummy load. More testing this weekend. Then it may go back.

Sorry yours isn't performing up to par, Low_Boy.
I know the feeling. It's one we all are familiar with. :unsure:
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. (y)

If you would like to know more on the matter you can look at ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994. That is the spec that calibration labs have to follow. You can use a NIST STANDARD or transfer standard for your instrument calibrations...either way there is a 4:1 test accuracy ratio simply meaning whatever instrument you are calibrating has to be done by another instrument that is 4 times more accurate. And talk about compounding percentages that spec also says that the collective uncertainty of the measuring standards shall not exceed 25% of acceptable tolerance for each characteristic. lol.

Thanks guys. This is good information. I read that about the Bird meters probably 10 years ago, and it was probably someone posting on a forum somewhere that knew about as much about meter calibrations as I did.

Reactions: Unit 75
Oh gosh, I feel so "yesterday" because I just use my oscilloscope to make RF output power measurements.

I wish I had the extra funds to buy a nice meter.

Reactions: Riverman
FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.
As posted earlier. Talked to the service rep. about this meter. Accuracy is 10% full scale and 20% at half scale.

All comparisons were done using AM only.
I feel peak readings are only accurate while using peak hold. With out peak hold readings are really a joke. Daiwa meter most accurate at full scale.
Average readings are good with no questions.
100 watt test peak hold on.
Bird 100W
LP 100A 90W
Daiwa 85W a bit worse than 10%
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
175 watt test peak hold on.
Bird 175W
LP 100A 194W
Daiwa 200W
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
50 watt test peak hold on.
Bird 45W
LP 100A 40W
Daiwa 35W
All opinions welcome. I am a bit disappointed.

Reactions: 500kpot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.