• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR READINGS

skirk55

Nov 6, 2006
Bucks County Pa. 18940
When I try to set the SWR I cut the tip to get the meter to read in the red ban. When I started it pegged the meter. Now it's getting higher. I can't get it to read under 5 how dose anyone get 1.0-1.5 readings. Is the location of the antenna the problem? Is my radio fried? This is so frustrating :x

You need to post alot more detail. The type of radio doesn't really matter as long as its being used on regular CB channels. What kind of antenna is it, what kind of vehicle, where and how is the antenna mounted? Is this all new gear, or is it used?

The Antenna is a Hustler HQ-27 New. Coax Cable Fire ring No Instructions with it got a photo on this forum to get an idea how it goes together! Ford F350 Diesel with a fender mount left side. The radio was about 6 -8 years old.

Hmmm , 60 on your 25 ? , you could have had a shorted match and fryed the finals ? 6 to 8 years old isn't nothing as long as the radio was run on a good match , I've seen 30 year old radios walk and talk the dog without any problems , those 25s are good solid performers. IM sure it's fixable. Welcome to the wonderful world of cb radio S-55 !! Hang in there dude , it's more then likely going to cost you a couple bucks as you go (c.b. stands for constint buying ) but you will learn as you go along. Most of us have all been through what your going through ,one way or the other. IM really not up on your antenna here and how good they are ? but from reading other threads , it's been one thing after another for you , as I said before, Hang in there S-55 . Happy
Holidays to you. (Your antenna is more then likely the most important part of your system 55 , it always pays to have the best you can baiscally get within your pocket books range , you can have a great antenna with a not so good ,run of the mill ,little radio and get out just fine , but you could have a 500.00 radio on a 10.00 antenna and not do very well , catch my drift.)

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Thanks and you also have a good Holiday. It seems everything I do has a glitch! I guess I have to pay my dues. I got very disgusted today and a friend gave me an extra radio he put in the basement years ago but it work's! Now I know how to install an Antenna, how to install a Fire Ring Coax Cable, How to use an SWR Meter and how to burn up a good CB Radio.I will not purchase a new one until I get this installed. Then I will celebrate and purchase a new Radio. Without the help I have received here I would have never gotten this far. There has been some good lessons on CB Instillation in my garage today. Thank you all for the help. :D

Hope you didn't try to tune the antenna while the vehicle was in the garage.

If you did that could be part of the problem. Need to be away from structures.

If not I apologize for the comment.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
No I did it out in the open. My Cobra was not working at all! I got an old Midland 77-838 and it worked fine. I was trying to set up a bad radio that I gust got Tuned UP. Now I have to eliminate the heater fan noise. I will not except anything but a CB Radio that works 100% in my truck. I have the rest of my life to do it. They call this a hobby.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.