• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR/Watt meter for the Mobile

I run this Palomar PW-1000. Bought three of them in 1990. Cost $39.95. Measures RF POWER (30/1000W scales), SWR, and vehicle DC voltage. Meter is backlighted for nighttime use. 4"wide x 2.25" high x 1" deep. "On-air" led lights when transmitting. Detector is well built and meter is very accurate. Made in Japan. Came with a 6' cord, that I replaced with a much longer one. Only complaint is that the detector would sometimes internally arc when running high power on SSB. Repositioning and insulating one component fixed that.

meter.png

detector.png

Both pieces are kinda beat up after 30 years service in 5 different vehicles, but still works 100 %. Too bad Palomar stopped selling them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
I got my CORRECT replacement. Pretty decent meter. Seems to be accurate enough, Nice big lighted meter. It's has the "true peak" circuit like my other MFJ meters, but the decay time is a little faster than the others, which is good. Not a bad meter at all. Using it in the shack for now. Might snag another for the car.

I run this Palomar PW-1000. Bought three of them in 1990. Cost $39.95. Measures RF POWER (30/1000W scales), SWR, and vehicle DC voltage. Meter is backlighted for nighttime use. 4"wide x 2.25" high x 1" deep. "On-air" led lights when transmitting. Detector is well built and meter is very accurate. Made in Japan. Came with a 6' cord, that I replaced with a much longer one. Only complaint is that the detector would sometimes internally arc when running high power on SSB. Repositioning and insulating one component fixed that.

View attachment 35557

View attachment 35558

Both pieces are kinda beat up after 30 years service in 5 different vehicles, but still works 100 %. Too bad Palomar stopped selling them.

I have this same unit in Kenwood trim, haven't hooked it up yet. Anyone have any additional comments on them ?

I've had my eye on the Palstar PM2000AM for permanent mobile installation, might try the Kenwood out first though......

Todd

I have this same unit in Kenwood trim, haven't hooked it up yet. Anyone have any additional comments on them ?

I've had my eye on the Palstar PM2000AM for permanent mobile installation, might try the Kenwood out first though......

Todd
I really like this meter. It's small and fits on my truck's dash next to the speedo. I replaced the slide switches with toggles from an old cb because the slides were a bitch to operate when driving. Also replaced the meter light with an LED. My amp is installed behind the back seat so a longer cord was a must. I bought these when my distributor was closing them out, and I wish I had bought them all. Everyone who sees it wants one.
If you can, send me a picture of the Kenwood unit. Are they still available?? 73s.

Palstar unit seems pretty pricey.

Reactions: Holydvr

Todd
I really like this meter. It's small and fits on my truck's dash next to the speedo. I replaced the slide switches with toggles from an old cb because the slides were a bitch to operate when driving. Also replaced the meter light with an LED. My amp is installed behind the back seat so a longer cord was a must. I bought these when my distributor was closing them out, and I wish I had bought them all. Everyone who sees it wants one.
If you can, send me a picture of the Kenwood unit. Are they still available?? 73s.

Palstar unit seems pretty pricey.
Now that I have looked at the Palstar unit, I'll pass. For mobile use, a meter that does not have a separate detector box is useless. I don't want to have long runs of coax from my amp and then back to the antenna just to accommodate the meter. All that high power RF floating around the dash is a turn off for me. A remote detector eliminates that problem.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
After looking at it again, mine is slightly different. Wondering now if it could be modified to read scale at 2x, I run under 300w, but this thing says 150w.

Todd

Attachments

• 20220226_165633.jpg
    20220226_165633.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220226_165648.jpg
    20220226_165648.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: unit_399

Now that I have looked at the Palstar unit, I'll pass. For mobile use, a meter that does not have a separate detector box is useless. I don't want to have long runs of coax from my amp and then back to the antenna just to accommodate the meter. All that high power RF floating around the dash is a turn off for me. A remote detector eliminates that problem.
It does have a seperate remote sensor. Its the pm2000am, not the pm2000a

Attachments

• H0-008671A.jpg
    H0-008671A.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.