• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR's HIGH with amp on

coax145

Oct 17, 2011
I live in Newark Arkansas
I'm running a boomer 400 {mrf454's} in my 18 wheeler, with a us3300 radio, coupled with a Tc-4001-P dosy. Without the amp on my swr's are very low, with the radio on low or high power, but when i kick on the amp, well i can't get a reading with the radio on low output is low with a lot of swing, but with radio on high output of around 3 to 5 watts dead key, swr's are 3+ with no modulation.
i have a stryker ant. mounted on the right mirror grounded with a large braid flat wire to the cab 9ft of coax to the dosy,9ft to the amp, and 3ft to the radio. radio & amp are grounded to cab and electrical system.
i ran this amp in my 99 sonoma and it worked well with no problems. radio was a galaxy 99v. i tried that radio here to with same effect. anyone with an idea. please help: coax145.

If you swr is good with the amp off then it's fine. Don't check with amp on. It has to do with the tuning of the amp. You could change the 3 footer to a 9 footer and it'll read better if you want

i used to bash my self on why SWR was high with any amp inline (when its "ON" and transmitting). but tonight i put my 4 transistor box inline and removed my tube box (same output 500w) SWR is wacked with the Transistor box, but with the tube box SWR is perfect 1.0.0 on my base. so dont worry about the swr with an amp. always use a analyzer or a meter prior to putting a amp inline 4 10>?
take care, don't stress on it its just harmonics and the way the amp is built. 73s fella

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.