• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

T/S 500 no forward swing on AM?

moose

No good can come of this.
Nov 29, 2009
New Orleans, LA -ish
I mainly use this one on SSB but last night Cali was rolling in on AM. Soooo turned the delay off and tried to talk and wasn't getting any swing. Actually, as the radio would modulate the amperage draw would decrease. Any ideas?

I mainly use this one on SSB but last night Cali was rolling in on AM. Soooo turned the delay off and tried to talk and wasn't getting any swing. Actually, as the radio would modulate the amperage draw would decrease. Any ideas?

that sucks! hope you get it fixed great amp!

u can talk to me on the AM side on the wc 14am :)
(y)

so it works fine on SSB but it wont swing/modulate on AM ?
how much dead-key are you putting into it and how much dead-key are you getting from the amp ?
is this a mobile or base install ?
if base , what power supply are you using ?
if mobile , was the engine running ?
what gauge power wires are you using and how long is the run to the amp ?
do you have another radio to try with the amp ? or amp to try with the radio to be sure the problem is in the amp ?

that sucks! hope you get it fixed great amp!

u can talk to me on the AM side on the wc 14am :)
(y)

I got on last night on 38LSB and it was so jam packed I was just cruising channels to see if I could find some locals. The whole state had the needle in the red last night which was strange. All I have been hearing is with any freq is Australia and a few kiwis until Mexico overtakes everything after dark. I get very few people in the states. I just keep trying.

so it works fine on SSB but it wont swing/modulate on AM ?
how much dead-key are you putting into it and how much dead-key are you getting from the amp ?
is this a mobile or base install ?
if base , what power supply are you using ?
if mobile , was the engine running ?
what gauge power wires are you using and how long is the run to the amp ?
do you have another radio to try with the amp ? or amp to try with the radio to be sure the problem is in the amp ?

That's the way it seems BM.
2 watts DK into amp
I believe 50 watts DK out if I believe my little crappy meter. Sure do need a good one.
Base use only. Astron VS70-M
#6 stranded on a 6' run
I'm down to only one radio and the other TS 350HDV needs new power leads soldered to the board so it is out of commission for now.

I'll check the radio DK when I get home on L,M&H.

sounds like a microphone issue or something wrong with the radio in AM mode as far as the modulation.

It gives good swing radio only. Note that all I have to go on is a RatShack meter. AM it will swing +\- 20 watts on all power levels and current draw is proportionate with the swing. With the amp turned on xmitting AM I will get reverse swing with a current drop.

SSB I will get forward swing with or without amp and current will always increase with modulation.

1, 1.5, 3 watts DK radio only.
75, 125, 200 DK w/amp on

1 in 75 out
1.5 in 125 out
3 in 200 out

I see that as the Amp is doing what it should, it is providing Gain.
If this example is correct, and the radio keyed 1 watt and swings to 3 watts, Amp should key 75 watts and swing to 200.
Stick the meter inline in between the Radio and Amp and read drive levels again.
Is this a V model or just a 4 button?
And just curious what do you see on the meter on the front of the amp?

Jeff

Stick the meter inline in between the Radio and Amp and read drive levels again.
Is this a V model or just a 4 button?
And just curious what do you see on the meter on the front of the amp?

DK levels remain the same wether the meter is behind the radio or behind the amp.

It is a V model.

Mack may have been on to something. It must have been in avg mode. Set in pep I am seeing forward swing now. Still doesn't explain why the current draw decreases only on AM.

With the 1.5 in now getting an amp DK of 125 and swing of around 490. This is at 13.0VDC

DK levels remain the same wether the meter is behind the radio or behind the amp.

It is a V model.

Mack may have been on to something. It must have been in avg mode. Set in pep I am seeing forward swing now. Still doesn't explain why the current draw decreases only on AM.

With the 1.5 in now getting an amp DK of 125 and swing of around 490. This is at 13.0VDC

Just the nature of ssb.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.