• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talkback on a Relay, Why?

I’ve yet to do any talkback mods internal to a radio, never will. Internal or external, I consider it a temporary audio check at best. The external mod free method I like best is simply using a half deaf radio with headphones plugged into it to avoid feedback. I also like what Palomar did to their model 500 Watt / SWR meter years ago. Palomar added a headphone jack to their meter and tapped into the forward detection diode. I modified a number of old SWR meters using that same method. Old school 8 ohm earmuff style headsets wired for mono work best.

Reactions: Rwb
when I repair a radio I have a backup radio about 20 feet from me with a small back of set radio antenna on it and the RF gain turned way down with big 6X9 speaker on it to listen to the radio after I get it up and running to listen to how it sounds.. this is better than talk back in a radio and my customers use to like hearing how there radio sounds before and after I do what they wanted.. the backup radio also is a SSB radio tuned to all the locals radios.
talk back in a radio is good to set the echo for most drivers that use to come to me to tune their radios.. some of the drivers wanted it so they could listen to them selves all the time and some just wanted it to set the echo.
this is just some thing the owners wanted. I always put a switch on the back of the non talk back radios so they could run it on or off if the radio did not have the on off feature. I use to buy the spst switches 50 or so at a time to do this for them. most use a rk56 noise cancelling mic and a few always wanted a power mic. with a power mic they had to turn the talk back off so they did not get the squealing from feed back. this talk back to me is just a toy for some to play with. I run a noise cancelling mic on all my mobile radios , just my preference on mic's.
I alway's do the mods most wanted for their radios or they would never come back. . I liked the relay mod since it gave a more true sound out of the speaker . some tech's will put a resister on the solder ide of the board to clean up the talk back and with the relay mod I never had to put the resister on the solder side to get clear talk back. the little relays back then would only cost about 50 cents each and I would only charge them 10.00 to put it in a radio for them..
no real money was ever made doing the mod so what the hech just give the customer what they wanted.
just my 2 cents worth.

Yup, if you don’t do what the customer wants, they’ll go to the guy who will. Enough of that and you’ll be out of business. I used to use a switch on the back too but now I use the 10k switch or some other unused switch on the radio.

This may or may not apply but I'm posting it here anyways.

This is for a KTA {Korea Electric) Audio amp chip but there's a point or two to be made in it regarding this thread.

TalkbackEQ.jpg

So if it can be assimilated - and used - please continue...

Else ignore and move on....

Last edited:
I’ve yet to do any talkback mods internal to a radio, never will. Internal or external, I consider it a temporary audio check at best. The external mod free method I like best is simply using a half deaf radio with headphones plugged into it to avoid feedback. I also like what Palomar did to their model 500 Watt / SWR meter years ago. Palomar added a headphone jack to their meter and tapped into the forward detection diode. I modified a number of old SWR meters using that same method. Old school 8 ohm earmuff style headsets wired for mono work best.

Thank you for reminding me...

SunbullsPWRMeter.jpg

Talkback mods or radios that already had that feature was never established back when I was servicing radios as a business. If people wanted to test their mic, many just plugged a speaker into the PA jack and turned their mic gain down. As for adjusting the echo, the PA would be good for that also, although echo boxes were very expensive and therefore rare during my time. Of course simply using a PA speaker would never work nowadays for those that want to hear themselves continuously. As a true audio representation, I never really liked the PA test either. It’s just a quick and dirty test. Like today’s talkback feature, it’s only representing the audio before it goes into the RF stage. I compare it to sampling the output of a stereo preamp before it goes into possibly a power amp that has serious problems, then afterwards calling it good to go. Those that think their talkback audio is the same as what others are hearing over the air are only being deceived. I find that too many think that it is. Close enough for practicality, possibly, but I’m hesitant to place it into the horseshoes and grenades category. I’ll let the scope with an RF probe be the judge of that.

Reactions: Rwb and Handy Andy
As with talkback, they are only hearing half the story.

As you so eloquently put it Sunbulls...

The RF stage can make or break the radio.

Ok, so by doing this relay mod, we get a better representation of what the actual output audio sounds like versus the standard talkback which gives a false feedback? I've always known the talkback wasn't giving a true reproduction of the audio being sent out but you're saying using the relay, it does. Right? So if that's the cause, you basically should be installing this relay mod into every radio where talkback is a must-have or a necessity...? Right?

I'll say it again, I'm not a fan of it. When I got my S9 though, it was nice to have a volume control on it. At the time that was something that the other radios being offered didn't have, some do now though. But I still don't like hearing myself when I'm trying to talk to someone. And I've noticed that some guys try to listen to themselves while talking and it's hilarious because they'll pause and have to start over. Funny.

Those that MUST have talkback are either ego statistic or insecure of emselves or mama weaned them in the wrong moonsign.i never liked tb. But i guess each to his own. Most using tb set too much echo n crap due to as posted above false readings

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.