• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talking to a Trucker!!!

seagiant

Feb 4, 2017
Hi,
If anyone remembers I put in my Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB radio.

Ran #4 wires and welded up a stand to go on the tranny hump of my pick up.

Everything secure!

Was running up the street yesterday and answered a guy on 19 asking for a radio check.

We started talking and I asked how my Uniden sounded???

He said, "That sounds VERY good if you are using the OEM mic???"

I said, "Actually I'm running a Extreme 2018!"

I was shocked that he knew something wasn't quite right???

I still have to put on my little amp but have been having fun with this radio stock and have never heard a bad report on it!

if you have been on radios for years you will be able to tell in most cases if some one is running a stock mic or a good replacement. at my buddys shop he can talk on a customers radio and it will sound good with a stock mic, if he puts say a rk56 mic on the radio and then talks you can tell the difference right away. you would be surprised at how many RK56 mics he has sold doing this. the audio will be much louder and cleaner sounding with a good mic. he even sells the road devil mics that way also. if a customers voice is not real loud and clear just in talking to them in person a good mic will change the way they sound. the customer will hear how much better the radio sounds since they are in his office listening to them talk on their own radio.

Hi,
Thanks!

He seemed interested in what I was running!

I bought the Extreme 2018 from talking to you guys here on this forum. (225?)

I have everything on the mike turned to "0" but....

I guess the quality over the OEM original mike, is showing after all!!!

Hi,
Well....so far I have had nothing but great feedback from talking.....

To people with this radio/ mic, combo!

I also bought a nice Italian antenna which probably is helping also!

I'll be listening out for ya, Seagiant.

Once you get the amp you want, I'll be interested in how things sound with that mic/amp combo. (I have the same radio, that's why the interest)

The 980 is a good radio, in my opinion. It's not everybody's favorite, but that's ok. I get good compliments on mine, too, with my RM KL203 flipped on.

I am seeing more and more uniden 980 up for resale. not sure why so many are getting rid of them after they use them for a while. maybe because there is not many mods for a user to do. I bought a uniden 880 a couple years ago on sale at a Love's truck stop. it works just fine after tuning it a little for audio and out put. I was not real crazy about the use of the face and knobs. that is just me. it has good RX and TX after a light tune. it is just setting in the box in the shop.

Hi,
Sorry I don't use the scan function?

I just run thru the channels easy with the knob!

I DO like the WX Channels that of course you didn't have on the older radios!

I have the 203 amp sitting at home and hope to get it in next time I go home!

The radio is just installed stock out of the box and I tuned the antenna with my Diawa Meter and have yet to get a bad report?

Have not picked up to much on SSB but this is the first radio I have had with that?

Might be a learning curve?

You'll like that 203. I've noticed that I am not the only one with a 980/203 combo; it seems pretty popular. I've been told that my radio has that "Big Radio Sound".

I've picked up a little on SSB; I occasionally tune into 38LSB, to see what's coming in. But, what's going on there seems to depend on station location. For me, that changes by the second. Normally, I'm on 19AM, because it's relevant to work. I usually check out SSB if I happen to be sitting in an urban area. (St. Louis, I understand, is a good place for sideband action. At least, that's what I got from the one actual sideband conversation that I have had, which happened to be in St. Louis )

On the scan function; deleting from scan isn't what one does, rather it's ADDING to the Memory Scan. Directions are in the manual, which is floating around my truck, somewhere. I figured out how to do it, but have since forgotten. Uniden could have made that whole function a little more convenient, really. It's a bit of a nuisance, when driving.

I, too, just manually flip through channels with the knob.

I did get it to work today. Certain channels are skip and obnoxious loud and very annoying when trying to pick up locals. So I just delete those 3 channels and it rolls through the rest. Of course the delete is temporary and they can be added back in at anytime if desired on scan. Scan function has two speeds and the fastest one is very fast. Now that the problem channels are gone from scan it really does keep me in the traffic patterns so to speak. When traffic stops on the active channel it automatically goes back to scan until it finds more traffic somewhere. Nice feature.

Hi,
Whats "funny" is I really resisted getting a modern CB Radio...

I was looking for a Cobra 29 or Uniden Grant XL.

Actually glad now I got the 980!

Time marches on I guess!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.