• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Talking to a Trucker!!!

Lol, I resisted the 980, too. I much prefer the classic look.

However, I wanted the SSB feature, and I wanted to use my points at Pilot/Flying J, and that was the only SSB radio available.

I did look at the thing for a good 2 or 3 years before I finally got it, and read everything I could about it.

I, too, have been very happy with mine. It does what I need it to do, and sounds great, I'm told, when mated to that 203. Indeed, I may get a 2nd one for my personal vehicle.

Glad you are happy with the 980, but get that little box hooked up and it will make a huge difference in talking ssb skip. That was a pretty lengthy thread on your decision a while back and it all paid off.

Hi,
Thanks fellas, ALL info is good!

Yes, 338, that was a lengthy thread because I was getting an education on CB radios from all you guys....

And it was appreciated!

I still have my old Cobra Classic 25 and I think I'm going to send it in and have it rebuilt/checked out, tuned and peaked!

Keep it for a back up, no SSB, but would work for trips that I have to make!

I HATE backed up traffic on an Interstate and not knowing whats going on!

A kid told me he has an app on his I-Phone that tells him about traffic...

But, I guess I'm old school and would like to hear about it from people actually there!!!

980ssb seems to be ok radio I might add I do own 4 of them each one of them have there thing i.e. All tx dead on but options like squelch,volume,clairifier,etc vary 2 radios have lil birdies on seem to be ok sounding other 2 all stock ok reports they all run kinda on the warm side and all have the annoying beeps now I see uniden gas now did another version board which I very dislike it another thing they could of done on this version board was fix the mosfet problems as well overall ok radio for the store price many refurb ones out there as well seem ok many caps in them get replaced as I see it

Hi,
Well.....Most radios are twice as much from what I have seen?

I put mine in, tuned the antenna and used it from the old Cobra power supply (fusebox!)

Then got time and ran my heavy wire straight from the battery and made my stand.

I have plastic covered stereo box connecters from the heavy wire to the radio harness (Power and Ground!)

Put in a Uniden external speaker on the bottom of the dash panel (facing me) passenger side.

And have PLENTY of sound/volumn when driving!

Get my amp installed and I should be good!

You should have bought a Grant XL, but if you are happy with the 980 that's great.
To put the difference between a 980 and a Grant XL in an amusing way.........it's like a drag race between a Dodge Superbee A12 and a 1970 Ford Pinto. LOL
One will get you to the finish line in 12 seconds and the other will get you there sometime that day.

Well, you are right about buyers regret in that I paid way too much for the 980 and now the prices are way way lower. And I found that I don't really use SSB much at all. If I was a truck driver that might change of course. But, the collection of radios goes on. Maybe it's a 12 step program looking for a Shrink... who knows?

Sarasota Slim: the truck in question is indeed a Cascadia by Freightshaker. 2016 model. Previous driver already has a whip installed with his own coax somehow to circumvent the factory problems. I doubt they used 75 ohm cable in the dash. Trying to wear too many hats under that dash. Hopefully he won't be in that truck too long.

Last edited:
Hi,
Well, the way I am is that if I HAD bought a Grant XL that would of been $150 at least and then I would of had to send it to a GOOD tech to get it gone over!

That would of been another $150!

So now I;m in it a little bit and still have a 20 year old radio???

Maybe they are worth it, I do that with my stereo equipment (70's Sansui/Pioneer!)

But...for $100 bucks and the glowing reports I had to try a 980!

if I was not able to work on my own radios it would be hard to pay 150.00 for a radio that needed to go to a shop to make it work as it should. the 980 is a good basic radio. just not a lot a guy can do to it for mods.

Reactions: Sarasota Slim
The price was right on my 980; free, brand new.

Like Sonoma said, it's a good, basic radio. Not much one can do to modify it, but that's ok. The only mod that interests me, for now, is a power boost. So, I put an amp on it. Done.

I also got some chrome knobs for it, but that's just a tacky appearance thing.

I may get into the whole freebanding thing, later. But, that's not something that is convenient when piloting 80k lbs down the road. That strikes me as a hobby better suited to base stations.

The 980 is perfect for my current purposes; I can monitor 19 as I'm driving, and I can play with the SSB feature when I'm sitting. It's got its minor nuisances (the beeping, for example ), but overall, a fine piece of equipment.

Hi,
I was able to shut the beep down or off?

Didn't really bother me as I am used to it using Marine Band radios on the ships I've worked on for 35 years!

Say what you will we all have opinions but, I think the 980 is a great radio for the money. Especially if you are using it mobile, it's nice to have the weather band. Put a RF limited 2018 on it and with a little RM Italy 203 you are talking on a solid little radio that is stable on sideband.

Reactions: Sarasota Slim
I either use the microphone setting on 2 or 3 from the radio's menu.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.