• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tarheel 40A-HP

North Texas Mudduck

Apr 5, 2005
at the bottom of the 40hp there is this coil that needs to be attached to center and ground to help with the lower bands
what could i use instead of this little coil

That little coil is an impedace matching coil for the lower bands, usually 80 and 40 meters. On the higher bands it's as if it's not there. I've seen them enclosed in a small PVC tube to keep them from damage.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
well it looks like the headliner be coming down again
and i do appreciate the link that was a good read. i saved that to my favorites

and will this little coil be able to handle some power

I have no idea how much power that little coil can handle. The one on my screwdriver works just fine with a 100 watts, haven't tried any more than that. The key to that is the spacing between turns of the coil and the size of the wire used. Wire size isn't that critical, but the spacing can be, mainly because of arching, that sort of thingy.
'Tuning'/adjusting the coil is sort of 'tricky', as 'BG' said, you'll have to take some time with that. And the placement of that coil just has to be from (+) to (-), not necessarily under the mounting point. I'm thinking about that dropping the head-liner thingy, I am definitely not going there if I can possibly help it! Of course, I may be misunderstanding why you would have to, it may only be to mount the thing on the roof.
Good luck and have fun.
- 'Doc

You could always use a capacitor if you don't fancy installing a coil, however the capacitor isn't DC grounded, whereas the inductor is, why should this matter? Noise, the shunt coil will bleed any static built up in the antenna, a cap won't ;)

However I find one size does not fit all, just like you need to adjust the antenna for each band, you'll find the same is required for the shunt inductor, currently 40/80m are off limits unless I fit a different shunt inductor, the only way I get a low enough VSWR on 80m is by adding a 16' whip, and that's no good for driving with ;)

The Screwdriver antenna I use does not need one....I get 80m through 10mtr's without one...And if I want 6m and 2m...I use a shorter whip and can work 40m through 2m...through 2m is the worst band for that screwdriver...but it works in a pinch...
I prefer the big hustler colinear for 2m....
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.