• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Taylor .64 Wave Ground Plane

2RT307

Nov 22, 2011
Texas
I used to have one of these antennas back in the late 70's. BIG antenna, with four 9 foot radials. It was made very well, with thick aluminum. They were supposed to handle 1000 watts, and had a pretty large plastic enclosed coil. I think they were manufactured in Atlanta, Georgia, but I am not positive about that. And there used to be a guy that would sell them from time to time on Ebay as refurbed units, and he asked a pretty high price for them. No idea who he is or if he is still around. Anybody have any info on them?

RT307

Sounds like a Penetrator 500, except for the "coil"! The Penetrator 500 has a wire gamma system! There is another version called a CLR2, I think, which had a circuit board inside of the base!
I have two of the P. 500s-( one brand new), and love em.
Don't tell anyone but, I think they are the best ground plane out there.

Have fun

Thanks IRock. The antenna was bought from a CB shop in Burkburnett, Texas from a guy who's handle was "Dauber" as in mud dauber. Not sure who his distributor was back then, but he used to sell a lot of nice CB equipment, from Brownings/Trams on down. I used to love going to his shop when I was a kid. Anyhow, just reminiscing about this old antenna and was hoping to come across an old ad or brochure for it. It served me very well for several years. Talked a lot of DX on it with my Robyn T-240D and D104. No amp, either!

RT307

Old thread, I know... but I did find the name of the antenna. It was a Taylor GLR-4 Grand Slammer.

Brett

$_1.JPG

Reactions: 2RT307
no, just google stuff
I guess I didn't look hard enough. :) I got mine for my 14th birthday. Bunch of locals liked me, and went half on the antenna, and a guy named Dale (Night Prowler) provided a 40' push up pole. My parents gave me a Robyn T-240D for my birthday on Dec. 20, and I got a D-104 for Christmas a few days later. We sure had a house full of characters for my birthday party. Great memories!
Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated