• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tech help?

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
Hi, okay, my friend own's a galaxy saturn turbo base radio, and the lower side band is just a total mess i have to go to 27.406.2 to evan clarify him in close it sounds like it warbles i have taken it to a very very good tech and it evan stumbled him and he is a legit certifed by ranger rci tech so any idea on what this problem might be?

Thanks,Dan

Yeah; it sounds like the radio needs to get an alignment procedure.

It might also need a new voltage regulator - because of the 'warbling sound'. Either that; or your power supply isn't putting out enough voltage or amperage to supply the radio correctly. This can also cause 'warbling'.

A tech for Galaxy would know this...

That is a known common problem with some of the older RCI / GALAXY radios its an oscilator problem it was pretty common in a few of there models 88 99 Mirage 88 99 models aswell.

so what should my friend do? what tech should he send it to??

I guess that all depends on where you guys are at.....

It's a common-ish problem with the older Galaxy radios. The same "vintage" as the RCI-2900.

A little clarifier work and realigning the radio ought to be able to bring it back. ESPECIALLY if it's ONLY on LSB... That would point to the offset oscillator being bad.

I DOUBT it's the regulator, since you get power output.... That won't cause freq to shift, either, it will cause the sound on SSB of being overdriven, and on AM you will have a 1-2 watt carrier max and drop BIG TIME when you try to modulate, or you will have a monster carrier, and that's it.

Find a real tech, not someone that reads Galaxie's tech tips and calls themselves a technician. I've found that calling Monika on the phone pretty much finds out that almost EVERY "Certified Galaxy Tech" was, for lack of better terms, completely full of shit.

***EDIT*** Sorry, didn't register the first time you said RCI Certified tech... I still stand by my original statement, though... Anyone that can't fix a problem in a radio that's been KNOWN for 15+ years isn't <<that>> good of a tech... Especially when it's either a clarifier or offset problem.

--Toll_Free

If anyone has been in there and messing with the VCO cans that will cause all kinds of Havoc hate and discontent. That radio needs to be realigned take it in and just have it done. From there they will find anyother issues that maybe present ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.