• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tech Special - Blown Late Model HG Texas Star 500V

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Here's a Tech Special. About 1 year old previously lightly used 500V with gold label HG 2879's. I got it from a friend who got it new and rarely used. Worked great, seeing 525 out with 1 watt dead key on 14.4 volts. Has had Heavy Wire Internal mod performed. I blew it up by accidentally running on wrong antenna into a high SWR. There are 2 wire wound chokes in the back. One is still attached and got smoked. The other burned completely off. I see two small resistors next to the pills that are smoked. That is all I can see that is physically burned. Have no way to test the pills to know if they are good or not. Cabinet and front looks great. Everything worked fine - Meter, all lights and Preamp. Have Factory Box. You can fix or is good for all the other parts. Definitely worth fixing by competent Tech if the pills are good. Have no idea what to ask for it. Make a reasonable offer. Silly Low Balls will be ignored. Priority Mail with Tracking. Paypal Fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.04.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.04.04 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.00.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.00.16 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.01.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 2.01.02 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Haha
Reactions: NZ8N and groundwire

The 2 on the front board certainly are as indicated by the smoked 10 ohms. I'd guess the 2 on the rear board are down to about 6-8 hFE.
I'd like to see the board with the soot removed to see if the trace is still useable.
Hi 144, I cleaned the affected area as you asked. Looks 100% intact Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 7.21.56 PM.png

Reactions: 144inBama
Wire Weasel,

this amp has not had the big power wire upgrade.

yes, someone put larger wires going into it, but that is not the upgrade.
the fuses and the small wires going to the other areas of the board are the problems and those have not been modified in that amp.

This amp needs between 100 and 150 dollars worth of parts plus the work to put them all in.

hope that helps you determine what a fair price would be.
LC

Wire Weasel,

this amp has not had the big power wire upgrade.

yes, someone put larger wires going into it, but that is not the upgrade.
the fuses and the small wires going to the other areas of the board are the problems and those have not been modified in that amp.

This amp needs between 100 and 150 dollars worth of parts plus the work to put them all in.

hope that helps you determine what a fair price would be.
LC
You have a PM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated