• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Technical Explanations for the CB Radio Craze?

hmmmmmmmmm if it did nt come from the 10/11 meter band why did the hams get so upset about it being took away and why some multi band ham tranceivers have the 10 meter and 11 meter band in them,,, and i am talking late 50s radios not this stuff that is now,,,,

hmmmmmmmmm if it did nt come from the 10/11 meter band why did the hams get so upset about it being took away....
actually, Amateurs of that era were upset because an attempt was made to take the 220 MHz band for CB purposes.

... some multi band ham tranceivers have the 10 meter and 11 meter band in them,,, and i am talking late 50s radios not this stuff that is now,,,,

... and modern VHF/UHF dual banders have 440 MHz (440 MHz, like 27 MHz, is not a primary band for U.S. Amateurs either.

...you hear that from many sources, but, Actually, CB never came from any band allocated to Amateurs they were SECONDARY users on 27 MHz which was a COMMERCIAL Business band in the U.S.

From WikipediA: On September 11, 1958 the Class D CB service was created on 27 Megacycles, and this band became what is popularly known today as "Citizens Band". There were only 23 channels at the time; the first 22 were taken from the former amateur radio service 11-meter band, and channel 23 was shared with radio-controlled devices.

Hmmmm.

Reactions: midnight special
From WikipediA: On September 11, 1958 the Class D CB service was created on 27 Megacycles, and this band became what is popularly known today as "Citizens Band". There were only 23 channels at the time; the first 22 were taken from the former amateur radio service 11-meter band, and channel 23 was shared with radio-controlled devices.

Hmmmm.

Can you come up with a more reliable source other than Wikipedia?

Reactions: Road Squawker

Hmmmm.

like I said, "You hear that from many sources".

Amateurs were NEVER the primary licensees on 27 MHz.

like I said, "You hear that from many sources". Amateurs were NEVER the primary licensees on 27 MHz.

Prior to Sept '58, the frequencies from 26.96 to 27.30 were allocated for amateur operation. This freq spectrum was shared with another radio service. After Sept '58, these frequencies were allocated to the Citizen's Radio Service, and amateurs and the other sharing services were no longer permitted to operate on them. So whether they were the "primary" licencees or not, amateurs lost the use of these frequencies. Period.

Last edited:
... whether they were the "primary" licencees or not, amateurs lost the use of these frequencies. Period.

there is a legal difference between a PRIMARY and a SECONDARY licensee.

Amateurs did lose part of the 10 meter band in the late 1940's and as a result, the FCC ALLOWED them to operate on 27 MHz as a secondary user, provided there was no interference with Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) devices.

those freqs were never allocated as Amateur bands , so Amateurs could never "lose" what they never "owned". Period.

the users that lost 27 MHz were commercial users. mainly the Diathermy industry.

in fact, even after the class "D" permit was invented, certain frequencies in the 26.96 to 27.23 MC range you stated continued to be used for commercial operation.

Well, I suppose if you have to resort to legalese and symantics to try and prove your point, that's your prerogative. But the bottom line is that before Class D CB was approved, amateurs were permitted to operate on 26.96 to 27.30, and afterwards, they were not.

Reactions: midnight special
so the amatuer equipment that had 11 meters in them before 1958 was not supposed to be used??? and i am not talking about ones that had 11 meter recieve but were able to transmit nothing like they have today where you cut wire or reprogram,,,,, i have seen mid 50s ham radios with 11 meters built in heath kits with 11 meters not some mod but was part of the band set up.... i think you have mixed up some years where med ical was shared with cb band, channel 23 was that way,,,, some freqs above channel 22 was business,,, the reason they expanded to 40 channels was businesses were going vhf and the business side of 11 mters was mostly dead,,, sorry about spellings ,,,i hate smart phones

as for businesses using 11 meter band read part 97, the 11 meter band is meant for personal, family and business use,,, technically if you owned a business you could put a cb in all your vehicles and all use one license,,,,, this is my last post on this i hate smart phones

like I said, "You hear that from many sources".

Amateurs were NEVER the primary licensees on 27 MHz.

That means NOTHING. 11m was still an amateur radio band that was taken away from the amateur service. According to your way of thinking the 60m band is not an amateur band either. Regardless of the status beit primary, secondary, or even tertiary, if authorized to operate on it then it is an amateur band. Some bands are not universal around the world (160,80,60,40m but each segment of each band is an amateur band in it's own authorized region.

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread -- a real education for me. Here's an ad you might enjoy starring Casey Kasem and a Hy-Gain

That isn't Casey throughout the whole commercial, only the last two seconds. So he's in 7% of the commercial and you think that's the starring role over the guy that's on camera and speaking for 93%?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.