• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tek HR-3950 info?

Hawkeye351

Jun 27, 2021
Got an HR - 3950 by Tek on the desk today.

Issues:
Transmits on just 1 frequency, no matter what band you're in or what the channel indicator says. 24.39....mhz.

Transmit is 1w swing to 2w peak in AM.
Transmits up to 3w in either sideband.
Sideband receive has a high pitched squeal/squall just by switching to SSB.

Already been to Ray Elkins and 42 Electronics to be checked out. The owner was told by those 2 shops it would cost more to fix than to buy another radio. I hate when techs (so called) tell people that nonsense.

All controls are scratchy, all switches are dirty.

All lights and meter works.

Can't find any info on this radio. Don't even know what band is for 11m, just winging it.

Anyone have any info on this radio?

When a radio is stuck on a single frequency like that, it is usually the PLL out of lock and the VCO is driven to one of its limits. That explains the lesser power too, as the mixer output is outside the passband of the tuned circuits.

Check the crystal oscillators to see if they are running. A radio that dirty was probably in a truck bouncing around. Export radios with that many bands don't need frequency mods, so there should be no need for a freq mod. I bet its a crystal that went bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeye351 and TM86
If you can get the PC board number it might be possible to figure out if there's any "sister" radios that use the same one. If those have docs available they should be close enough to get you started.

i have one,,, if controls are scratchy need cleaning,,, when radio is open you will see a switch on the left, that is the option for ten meters and 11 meters if that switch is not making good contact it may be do what you discribe,, about all to found on the net is fcc ban list,

Reactions: Hawkeye351

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.