• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Telestar Magnum Amplifier

9C1Driver

Aug 13, 2008
Looking for any information on this monster. It's a 2 tube, has 8322 4cx350f tubes inside. Thanks.

WOW!!! My heart skipped a beat when I read that name! I owned a Telstar Magnum a few years ago & WOW is the only way to describe it! It was my introduction into ceramic tube amps & since I had owned 25-30 sweep tube amps by then I was kinda sceptical about it. It had 2 dead tubes & a Peter Dahl Xformer in it & when first keyed output was only around 250 watts. HUH?!!

I don't know if the Xformer was factory, but after talking to the guys @ RF Parts - they talked me into buying 2 new 4CX400A tubes & new chimneys as the 4CX350 is a bit smaller diameter tube but the same pinout. Basicly just a "chop & swap" & with as little as 10 watts drive it was doing around 2.8Kw on my 43P Bird!! Add a bit more drive (35 watts) & a dedicated 30 amp service & it was peaking @ 3.3Kw Bird!!! Not to bad for a 120vt amp!!

I sold it to a guy who needed a driver for a 55 built 10 Kw box & watched the Telstar Magnum doing 3.3Kw Bird on his meter as well so I know "it was do'in it's thang"!!

I've never found another Telstar Magnum for sale but would snatch 1 up in a second if I could!! BTW- Let me know if you want to sell it!! :drool:

Happy Holidays to all here on the WorldWideRadio Forum!!

Very cool, thanks for the information. I was planning on geting two new tubes here pretty quick but that recent ice storm changed things alittle. Four days without power and the coldest two of those four were zero and four degrees. Got lucky though and snagged the last Honda 2000 watt generator Gander Mountain had. Ran the furnace like a champ. This does give me some time to look into all tube possibilitys. Talk to ya later.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see where should i start first, oh yeah
the telestar is a 6 meter amp, and they have what some of know them to be
tetrode, tube= steele tube . with a chimmey and blower fan that pushs air
in a air tight chamber, them the air moves up though the fins on the top of the tube, if your useing it for a 11 meters the tank coil have to be redone.
meaning the coil has to be recoiled, to about 5 turns or 4 depending on the tube that your tuneing, abox builder will know more about it, ive seem them with 250 b's ive seen them with 8930=4cx350r's, and now ppl are useing the
russian tubes because thier cheaper then the american made, with is eimac,
or cpi.. most of the tubes used in those box's are low driving tubes, and it has
an input tuning which is important for tuning out SWR's most ppl dont really check swr between the driver and the box, but i can tell out out of 10 ducks
maybe 3 might know about it.. other then that its a very good and clean amp
tetrodes are clean anyway depends on the builder, if your not trying to dead key alot of watts which you should not, it should be tuned for max headroom,
not bully watts as i call it, if u want bully watts then get an amp with a larger tube, my rule of thumb is if u wanna key 10 kw, get a 4cx20,000 then
u can keep 10kw out their all day long with out stressing and killing the tube, if you want a lot of upward swing then you might want to get an 8877, depending on who builds that box that tube with key 1500, bird watts and swing to 4kw or 5 kw, depending on a few factors, service in the house, a well tuned out radio with a lot of upward swing, bird watts not those fake dosy watts. anyway enuff of talking about huge watts, well then again, thats how i run my station i dont play with these mudducks out on the air, i key that maull down and am getting heard, and talk as long as i want to with out
any interuptions from the in between mudducks, i will say this, being 10-8 cost a lot of money this game is not from the light pockets, trust me when i say this, if you hear guys in skip they have money tied into their stations so dont think cause u can hear them its gonna be easy to get back to them, you have to remember theirs more ppl talking and want to talk to the same loud station as you do, and their not going to stand by so u can get your name called.. u need to research this game well, get smart and spend wise.. and keep a knowlegeabe tech under your belt, most ppl want to be 10-8 rite out the box and thats not going to happen, ok i preached enuff 73'a

Reactions: Crusher
TELESTAR

Being they made them in my town and I know 3 of the guys that made them, they are not just a 6 meter amp, they made commercial amps all the way up to large AM Radio Broadcast Amps, they just got a little greedy and made a few amps for consumer applications ...............2 CENTS on the 6 meter portion

all in all they sound like they pushed a heavy load onto the airwaves how clean who knows I dont know about this company or if band selection was an option I need to do a bit of homework now I see.

all in all they sound like they pushed a heavy load onto the airwaves how clean who knows I dont know about this company or if band selection was an option I need to do a bit of homework now I see.

The Telestar amplifier company was a commercial outfit that did comm, LIMITED mil contracts, etc.

They ALSO did HF amplifiers... When the "below 30 mhz ban" came into effect, they made 6 mtr amplifiers.

They DO kick ass, though, as others have professed.

I have a 2 tuber in the shop now..... Soon as the leg lets me walk again, I'll be in there to clean it up.

--Toll_Free

TELESTAR

Being they made them in my town and I know 3 of the guys that made them, they are not just a 6 meter amp, they made commercial amps all the way up to large AM Radio Broadcast Amps, they just got a little greedy and made a few amps for consumer applications ...............2 CENTS on the 6 meter portion
Hello im looking for a tele star Jupiter if you know someone that has one for sale give them my info my email is gburns963@gmail.com. ..

Wow an old thread back from the dead. I will give an update, it needed work so I traded it even up for a mint condition Uniden Madison with a matching speaker. Still have the Madison and actually just had it re-capped, works great.

The guy that got the Tele Star Magnum repairs/works on/fiddles with anything tubes. He ordered new tubes and re-built the keying section of the amp. Several months later he got on the air one night and was running it with a Uniden Washington. The audio was clean and crisp and he was seeing 700-800 watts from his Bulldog meter. Not sure what his status is, I have not heard from him in several years.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Here is one that lead me to this post as I have never heard of them and I have seen alot of amps over the years

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200219-140819_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200219-140819_Facebook.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 432

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated