• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tennessee Steel Haulers Warned about the use of 10M

Status
Not open for further replies.

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired

FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

Enforcement Bureau

Spectrum Enforcement Division

1270 Fairfield Road

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325-7245

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL - RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

June 1, 2007

Tennessee Steel Haulers

P. O. Box 78189

Nashville, TN 37207-8189

SUBJECT: WARNING NOTICE - UNLICENSED RADIO OPERATION

Case #EB-2007-3048

Dear Sir:

Information before the Commission indicates that one of your drivers has
been operating radio equipment without a license on 28.085 MHz and causing
interference to licensed stations in the Ten Meter Amateur Band.

The driver was observed operating unlicensed on May 3, 2007 at 6:40 PM on
Interstate 85, near exit 17, in Gastonia, NC.

Please advise your drivers that operation of radio transmitting equipment
without a license is a violation of Section 301 of the Communications Act
of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. Section 301, and will subject them to fine
or imprisonment, as well as an in rem seizure of any non-certified radio
transmitting equipment, in cooperation with the United States Attorney for
your jurisdiction. Monetary forfeitures normally range from $7,500 to
$10,000.

You are requested to contact me at 717-338-2502 to discuss this matter.

Sincerely,

W. Riley Hollingsworth

Special Counsel

cc: FCC South Central Regional Director

Facsimile to 615-271-2364

- 2 -

Credit to ARRL.org

if he would have stayed below 28mhz probaly would have been
fine.as this sounds more like they were concerned with him
tramnsmitting on a amature frequency more than the
use of a 10m radio

yup yup.i just wanna know what [proof] they had he didnt
have a licence.sure he was observed operationing on 10m
but they clearlyt didnt state on thier if they asked the driver if he was licenced.i only say this cause i gotta a close friend
who ia a truck driver with the new 10m prilvedges and he
DOES transmit/recieve on the as well as 11m

And there's something you do NOT know! Ten Meters is partitioned into sub-bands.

28.000- 28.300 is set aside for DIGITAL modes ONLY!
Voice is NOT ALLOWED to ANY licensee. Technician, General, existing Advanced, and Extra class may use these digital modes such as teletype, CW, Pactor, etc.

28.300-28.500 is for Technician, General (Advanced) and Extra class licensees. Single sideband voice.

28.500-28.999- General, Advanced, and Extra may use single sideband. Technicians are restricted below these frequencies.

29.000-29.300 (?) General, Advanced, Extra may use AM voice here.

29.600- FM phone (voice) simplex phone calling frequency.
General, Advanced, Extra.

29.510-29.700 FM repeaters General, Advanced, Extra.

So amateurs may use the band according to the bandplan and the international protocols set forth by ITU.

The drivers show up on the lower end of 10 Meters on frequencies such as 28.085 AM, 28.105 AM, and 28.205 AM, to name a few. Their operations stick out like sore thumb!!
Therefore, the "proof" is the driver is operating in the AM mode with-OUT a valid callsign, AND the fact that a licensed amateur wouldn't be talking there on voice to START with! No need to ask the driver anything, and, indeed, it would be illegal for the amateur to communicate with the driver at ALL!

Drivers simply flip "band" switches, hear nothing except, perhaps, some beeping noises and think it is OK to talk on this "quiet" 'channel'! It is NOT "OK"!

Incidentally, it is also a requirement that one must use an FCC-certified CB radio for 11M, and an amateur transceiver for those bands. IOW, the so-called '10 Meter' radio is illegal to use on 11M at all and one may not use a "dual-use" radio for both purposes according to the law.

CWM

WHAT case???? One must use a FCC certified, 40 channel, 4 watt CB for 11M and an amateur transceiver for the amateur bands. You are not to use a non certified "channelized" 10 Meter radio for BOTH CB and Amateur, tho from a lot of conversations, it seems to be the case. "Dual-use" radios are not allowed by FCC rules. If you get caught doing it, it will likely mean your license. IOW, when on CB use a legal CB radio (one with the FCC sticker on the back), when on amateur radio, use an amateur radio. So I don't understand what "case" of which you speak. If I mispoke myself in some way, it doesn't change anything. So-called channelized "10 meter" radios with "bands" of 'channels' are still illegal because they have been deemed so by FCC's Office of Technology, placed there by specific name.

CWM

AudioShockWave said it best. This is the simplest it can be put! [/u]"Export" Radios listed by name are illegal for the DEALER to SELL! The ACT of making the sale is what is illegal for the dealer. It is illegal for a CB operator to USE an "export" radio ON the CB band. The licensed Amateur operator may USE any radio that meets spectral purity requirements on Part 97! He is not subject to rules that pertain to CB except where he might USE CB radio--in which case he must abide by the same rules everybody else does. Should he USE an "export" radio on the CB band, then he is illegal, same as anybody else. On the ham bands, he CAN use the export rig. We can't seem to separate two entirely disparate issues!~

CWM

you must have missed this post.......

Quote:
So at the beginning of the week I called the FCC and asked flat out if these radios, that are illegal to market in the US, are ok for licensed amateur operators to use on the amateur bands ? Today on my way home I called home and my wife said I had a message from a Diane from the FCC. She had told me she would get back to me after directing the question to someone in charge of Amateur Licensing. I got home just now and she has stated that an Amateur is allowed to use the Amateur portion of an export radio. So that settles the question for good with me.
If anyone would like to verify the answer you can call Diane at 877-480-3201 option #2. The case# for my question is #776635

There is the answer about legality of use.
That Issue has been beat to death....and Above is the answer......

Jeff

And NOBODY said otherwise! :D An amateur can use a TOASTER if he can get it to tx/rx and not create interference to other users. If a CB operator buys a so-called "10 Meter" 'amateur' radio", gets it modified to operate on 11 Meters, using the radio on said 11 Meters is illegal. Using it to transmit anywhere is illegal because it violates power and frequency usage rules and he has no authorization to do so (license). If an amateur modifies one, then uses it for BOTH CB and ham, it is, again, against the rules. And it is against the law for the dealer to SELL it, but not for an amateur to BUY it and USE it on the amateur bands ONLY.

CWM

Whaa..Whaa..Whaa...if y'all would spend as much energy to stop the Iraq mess as you do beating this 10 meter deal to death, then the Iraq deal would have been over two years ago.
:x This really gets old. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.