• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Terrible Noise!

Mark Malcomb

Nov 27, 2019
Hello Gentleman.
I hope I can get some help on this occasional problem I have. It seems to be sporadic when it comes
and goes.As you can see what a bummer distraction it can be.
I do not have any ferrite on my antenna. Now this is only an occasional occurrence.
It is a damn annoying situation which everyone has certainly had to deal with.
I do live 2 miles from a municipal airport. I can never actually determine why or when it will happen.
It's not my pool pump, Iv'e tried turning on and off without a change.
My antenna is a Gain Master which works very well for its height and location. I have crappy coax, TRAM
I did buy good stuff but haven't installed yet. I'm sure there must be several variables to consider which of course, I haven't considered.
Thanks for any help I can get! You guys are the best
Malcomb

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vswdJF8jLSiCEnjz7

Might be a TAF transponder - rapid burst code - to identify and provide local info for the appropriate transponder listening for it.

That always was a concern to me. It has no predictability, however it does cross my mind. It is a big municipal airport, Chandler to be exact. I must assume I have no defense if that's what it is..Thanks

I dont know what the S9 stuff is but the popping and buzzing around S1 to 3 sounds a lot like ethernet. I tried forever to get that noise out of my HF stuff and finally just gave up and made everything I could wifi. Unplug your modem/ethernet switch and see if it stops.
The noise could be anything. I would rule yourself out 1st. Put a CB on battery power then throw the main breaker for the house.

Reactions: Crawdad
Wow extreme! I like it. This bullshit only happens on occasion, like today. It puts me out all day. Sometimes it's for a couple hours, The infrequent times I experience it is puzzling
Our wifi does so much in our lives, and is the largest necessary items in a home now days. Any thing is possible however how could something which runs continuously cause my problem occasionally? I guess noise could be a bitch. I will try a few things and see.

Wow extreme! I like it. This bullshit only happens on occasion, like today. It puts me out all day. Sometimes it's for a couple hours, The infrequent times I experience it is puzzling
Our wifi does so much in our lives, and is the largest necessary items in a home now days. Any thing is possible however how could something which runs continuously cause my problem occasionally? I guess noise could be a bitch. I will try a few things and see.
I don't think the popping noise at S1-3 and the S9 noise are the same thing.
Cheap ethernet (WIRED) equipment gives off crazy HF noise. The simple solution is to just switch to WiFi.
The S9 noise could be anything. I had a battery tender that drove me nuts. It only made RFI when it was doing a battery condition cycle at random times. I would flip the breaker and the noise would stop. Turn it back on and it wouldn't come back for a few days. It was this forgotten little thing under the hood of a covered car in the garage.

I don't think shutting off the breaker is extreme. It's divide and conquer.
Is the noise coming from you or outside?
If its you then turn the main back on. Then turn off the breakers 1 by 1 until the noise stops. When you find the breaker thats doing it look at everything that is plugged in to that circuit. Could be anything. Ice maker, drill charger, furnace dehumidifier pump, roku waking up to check for updates, etc etc.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated